Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Help understanding???

Old 11-13-2012, 06:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help understanding???

I plan on put a 2.5” lift on my 2008 Jeep Unlimited Trail Rated, with 35” tires. My question is the regearing, to be able to take the bigger tires? What do I need to know? Is this something I will have to purchase? Or is this something that the mechanic can just do? I know with the 35” I will lose power and my Jeep will run sluggish, but I have read that doing a regear could fix that. Of all the things I know about working on my Jeep and fixing things, this is the one thing I really don’t know too much about and I really don’t want to touch. I hoping that some of you can help me out with this.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Depends what stock gearing you have. I have stock 3.73s and have been running 35s for well over a year with no problems and offroad a few times per month. A regear would be nice, but I will wait until I upgrade to 37s.

4:88 and 4:56 are ideal for 35's (6 spd)
5:13 and 4:88 (Auto)

Hopefully that helps.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 AM
JK Newbie

That all makes sense, I do have an automatic. I guess my next question is, if I were to say to the mechanic, I want my to regear. Is this something that they just do, or do they have to order parts?
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

You'll definitely want to take your time and price shop....the price range on gear installation can be anywhere from 999-2000+ dollars. Not to mention the gear sets themselves. I'd suggest calling NorthRidge4x4 and getting an education on the subject.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks, thats something I will do. I need to understand more about this.

Is it worth it. Is there anybody in the same boat as me? Any body running 35" with a 2.5 lift. Maybe they can let me know how it feels and what they think?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dannyboy76
Thanks, thats something I will do. I need to understand more about this.

Is it worth it. Is there anybody in the same boat as me? Any body running 35" with a 2.5 lift. Maybe they can let me know how it feels and what they think?
The amount of lift you have doesnt really have any effect of how the jeep will feel in terms of power and stuff like that. It all depends on your stock gears and weather you have a auto or Manual. i have 3.73 and a manual and having 35's you notice a power lose but its 100% liveable in the flat area that i live in.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

I live and work in the northern part of NJ. So I do drive up some hills and what not. Its looking like I might just stay getting the 33". Dont have the funds to do a regear for right now.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:56 AM
JK Super Freak

You don't have to do the re-gear right away. You can get the lift and wheels and do it anytime later. Get it all done and then decide for yourself. If you notice a huge power loss, get the gears done later. Plus if you want to add a locker, do that the same time as the re-gear. Most won't charge additional labor because it's already taken apart.

From what I've read, most that have the 2011 and earlier will want a re-gear with 35's+.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dannyboy76
I live and work in the northern part of NJ. So I do drive up some hills and what not. Its looking like I might just stay getting the 33". Dont have the funds to do a regear for right now.
At low altitude you'll likely want to re-gear eventually, but you'll be fine. I'd get the tire size you want, then you can decide on gearing later, and save up some funds in the meantime.

I live at pretty extreme altitude, and have big mountains I climb every day, and I can live with the 35's, but I wanted gears because my 08 already makes about 30+% less power than what you have due to altitude.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I recently put 35's on my 08 JKU automatic with 3.73's. I found that combination was tolerable but not ideal. I do some light towing with a utility trailer and a couple of motocross bikes. The 3.73's struggled pulling my trailer, and I ended up regearing with 4.88's after several months. The regear was definitely worth it for me.

Quick Reply: Need Help understanding???