Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need HELP with traction control after a lift

Old 05-27-2013, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP with traction control after a lift

Last week I lifted my 07 Sahara with a Rough Country 2.5 coil spacer lift. I also put some 35 inch tires on. Yesterday while driving a curvy back road, my traction control felt like it was kicking in a few times and the traction control light on the dash flashed. It felt like only one wheel was being affected on the first incident. There was no wheel slip or spin going on when it happened. Any ideas or anyone seeing anything similar?
Old 05-27-2013, 07:06 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by alettner
Last week I lifted my 07 Sahara with a Rough Country 2.5 coil spacer lift. I also put some 35 inch tires on. Yesterday while driving a curvy back road, my traction control felt like it was kicking in a few times and the traction control light on the dash flashed. It felt like only one wheel was being affected on the first incident. There was no wheel slip or spin going on when it happened. Any ideas or anyone seeing anything similar?
I had something very similar or it sounds like it. I have a 2.5" RC lift and every time I would go around an on/off ramp to the freeway traction control would freak out. Finally had to have the steering wheel centered and that has fixed it.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah. Make sure the steering is centered.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

not to beat a dead horse but i agree with the above two. Its very simple to do and can be done it about 5 mins, faster if you have someone to look at the stering wheel for you.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah triple check your steering wheel alignment and dial in your drag link first off. On roads with a lot of turns, fast sweeping on ramps as well, my ESP still came on like crazy. A quick 20 min install of an ESP kill switch will give you the option of turning off when it's activating too much for ya. These are great to have too for trails, snow, any time you need more wheel spin. Either of these threads make it a easy clean job.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...rite-up-98589/
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...riteup-260247/
Old 05-27-2013, 08:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had the same after my 2" OME install but only for a month or so.
Either I adjusted my driving or the ESP somehow adjusted itself.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:48 AM
JK Newbie

Will a front end alignment fix the steering wheel issue?
Old 05-27-2013, 09:00 AM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Either on your own, or you and a friend, can easily re-center your steering wheel by adjusting your drag link. This thread should help, also has a couple youtube how to videos in it. Very simple procedure, that takes no more than 10 min give or take.
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-wheel-168329/
Old 05-27-2013, 10:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Go up to the write-ups area. Stickied at the top is an index. Find the Basic Do It Yourself Alignment writeup, and follow the steps.

Seriously, it's about as difficult as loosening two bolts, twisting the turnbuckle until the wheel is straight, and tightening those same two bolts.

Originally Posted by alettner
Will a front end alignment fix the steering wheel issue?
Yes, but why spend that kind of money for something you can do yourself with a wrench and 5 minutes of your time? They can't adjust the caster. They can't adjust the camber. They can't center the axle. The toe can be adjusted, but probably doesn't need it. So you are paying for being too lazy to loosen two bolts...
Old 05-27-2013, 10:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. Really simple. Lengthening the drag link makes the steering wheel turn counter clockwise and shortening the drag link turns the steering wheel clockwise. And it really does take about five minutes to do. It takes a 15mm wrench (on a stock drag link). Get it dead straight and it will help. The other issue is the over sized tires. The traction control system is checking wheel speed at each corner compared to VSS signals and is determining which wheel is turning "too fast". With out changing the parameters in the ECM the Jeep will never perform correctly 100% of the time. The bigger tire size is tricking the sensors into enabling traction control when it really isn't needed. Not to mention the tires are degrading transmission shift performance and even engine performance (again, the sensors are calibrated for smaller tire diameters).

Bottom line? Get a AEV Procal. It will fix the sensors readings and also has a feature to help center the steering wheel without the need of a second set of eyes.

Sent from the fast lane while driving one handed.

Quick Reply: Need HELP with traction control after a lift