Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Help - Tie Rod

Old 07-19-2011, 11:49 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help - Tie Rod

I have death wobble. I hit a bump the other day on the highway at about 68mph and the front end went crazy. After I slowed down to about 50 it settled down and went back to normal. When I got home I took the track bar off to make sure the holes were not damaged and they did not appear to be. After going through all the other usual trouble makers (followed planman's write-up) and verifying that everything was tightened to spec I decided to take it to the dealer just to see if they could find anything. They said I have 3 issues.

1. "Flat spot" in my 6 month old teraflex heavy duty steering stabilizer.
2. Bad tie rod end.
3. Need to replace my tires.

I'm calling B.S. on my steering stabilizer and I know I need to replace my tires.

I asked them to check my ball joints and they said they are within spec (although they haven't given me the details on that yet).

My real question is should I go after a replacement tie rod? If yes, I'm assuming I should go with a heavy-duty aftermarket unit. I found one from Curry and Rock Krawler. Are there others? Any suggestions on which one?

Here's my setup:
2007 Unlimited X
68k miles
1" PA body lift
Teraflex 2.5" lift with springs an shocks
JKS front adjustable trackbar
Teraflex heavy duty steering stabilizer
Wood steering stablizer relocation bracket
Stock wheels with Spidertrax 1.5" spacers

Thanks for your time in advance!
Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull you stabalizer off and check. i've had 2 TF stabalizers go bad the one on there now you can even hear the oil sloshing and squishing its so slopy.

however the stabalizer wouldnt cause your DW or DW like issues. i would check the tie rod as that could produce a nasty harmonic shimmy and some slop in your steering.

I have had my wifes WJ do the same thing when a control arm was a bit loose.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Default thanks

Thank you for your quick responses.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Freak

Default bump wobble

I am having the exCT SAME PROBLEM!!! whn i hit a bump my steering goes insane major shimmy... when i go on washboard roads then come off i have huge death wobble.. after turning the wheels back and forth a few times it goes away only to come back when i hit a bump on the road.. i also have quite a bit of slack in my steering and i am wondering if thats my steering box starting to go or a loose sector shapt in the steering box

4" fulltraction ultimate lift
brand new BDS steering stableiser
track back is new and ok
new ball joints

the only thing i havent tried is replacing the drag link and tie rod and ends...

any ideas this is not only annying i feel that this could lead to my death someday this is very dangerous

thanks guys
Old 10-12-2011, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out this thread. Probably the best one on the forum.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...obble-question
Old 10-12-2011, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by jeepmedic
check out this thread. Probably the best one on the forum.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...obble-question
thank you I'll check it out
Old 10-12-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeep Hound
I am having the exCT SAME PROBLEM!!! whn i hit a bump my steering goes insane major shimmy... when i go on washboard roads then come off i have huge death wobble.. after turning the wheels back and forth a few times it goes away only to come back when i hit a bump on the road.. i also have quite a bit of slack in my steering and i am wondering if thats my steering box starting to go or a loose sector shapt in the steering box

4" fulltraction ultimate lift
brand new BDS steering stableiser
track back is new and ok
new ball joints

the only thing i havent tried is replacing the drag link and tie rod and ends...

any ideas this is not only annying i feel that this could lead to my death someday this is very dangerous

thanks guys
I should add that this kit has been in for 1 year and this problem just started there was no modification
Old 10-13-2011, 12:42 PM
JK Freak

So I inspected the front end with an alignment guy and we noticed that's something was clearly wrong.. the pitman arm is loose... but only sometimes ... you can take it for a drive and it's fine other times when you shake the drak link you can see and feel it loose. The pitman arm nut is as tight as it can go but the pitman arm is still loose.... it's fulltractions droped pitman arm... I am wondering if the splines that hold it in place are worn out causing the slack... I am going to take it all apart and take a look.. I am short on money so I think I'll try EVO's drang link flip bracket minus the heavy duty drag link because money is tight. Also going to go back to the factory pitman arm if the sector shaft is not stripped if it is I'll have to look into a rebuild because a new steering box is way way to much... damn I hate when money is tight

Quick Reply: Need Help - Tie Rod