Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help with taking off stock drag link.

Old 01-24-2015, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help with taking off stock drag link.

Am installing the synergy drag link flip kit. I got the stock drag link lose but the axel side is hitting the tie rod and there isn't enough room to get the end of the TRE out of the stearing knuckle. Looks like only options is to cut TRE bolt or take off the tie rod end to get room. Am I missing an easier way. Here is a picture. I tried braking tie rod end loose but it's not coming easy and don't want to damage it if there is an easier way.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2167282631.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	593475  
Old 01-24-2015, 07:33 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's one or the other. Hammer around the knuckle where the tie rod connects. That will break it loose. Don't hammer the tie rod bolt. Sounds stupid, but eventually it will fall out. Google it if that doesn't make sense - there are better explanations that give a better visual.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remove the tie rod end also. Keep hitting around the knuckle it will drop eventually.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to use a pickle fork. Just did mine too and had the same issue. $10 at an auto parts store and 2-3 good hits with a hammer and it comes right off.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I just hack the stock stearing end to get off but I need to still drop the TRE to put the new one in. I will keep at it. But duck this a 1013 and wouldn't think it would be this hard.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:30 AM
JK Jedi

I just did these swaps. Pickle forks will damage the grease boot most likely so if you are re using the tre I would use caution. I bought a 4lb mini sledge. A few taps with it and it fell out. I was hitting it hard with a regular hammer and it did nothing. The heavier hammer was the key for me.

sent from my work leash
Old 01-25-2015, 05:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mattgt5
I just did these swaps. Pickle forks will damage the grease boot most likely so if you are re using the tre I would use caution. I bought a 4lb mini sledge. A few taps with it and it fell out. I was hitting it hard with a regular hammer and it did nothing. The heavier hammer was the key for me. sent from my work leash
Exactly. I used a full blown sledge hammer. Didn't go full swing with it obviously but two medium swings and that was that. Pickle fork works as well but it will damage the boot as already said

Quick Reply: Need help with taking off stock drag link.