Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

NEED HELP with suspension problems

Old 03-16-2014, 07:06 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz
got your stock parts?
^^^probably the best option. Pull it off and put stock parts on.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What parts does my "incomplete lift kit" require in order for my vehicle to function properly??
Old 03-16-2014, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shop who did the work should be ashamed for allowing you to take the Jeep in that condition. To me, after they installed it and test drove it they should have came to the conclusion that something needs to be fixed or added. I don't think a steering stabilizer is the answer, from what I have read they are more of a band aid that temporarily covers up bigger issues. I would agree there are more parts that you will likely need to get everything right. I notice that there are no control arms in the list of parts you gave. Also, at 4 inches, a steering system like this may be needed.
http://www.rockkrawler.com/ProductDe...ctCode=RK02681

I don't know how much time you have spent researching this forum or others like it, like the Wrangler Forum, but if you haven't I would suggest you do. In a couple of years I feel like I have learned a ton about Jeeps simply be reading threads about various things, like suspensions. Good luck and keep us posted because what happens to you in this case will likely help out another owner in the future when he or she has the same or similar problem as what you are having.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Drag link flip kit, control arms, bump stops, at some point driveshafts. That is a terrible kit that shops sell to get you sucked in cheap then they make a killing charging you for labor and other parts to "fix" the ride.

Who was the moron that talked you into a 4" lift to run 35" tires?
Old 03-16-2014, 07:33 AM
JK Newbie

drag link flip kit
control arms
bump stops

so, you're saying these parts are what I should've gotten in a complete kit? and with the parts listed above, the vehicle should be able to function?

Are new driveshafts really necessary?
The vehicle isn't being utilized for any extreme off-roading or rock crawling.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You state you don't have the stock suspension components. Did you sell it? Did the shop keep it? If so, did they offer it back to you because I think they are suppose to ask if you want it back, or at least they should? Once you start throwing more parts at it to get it riding and driving like you want, you will be in it for more money. Probably the first thing would be the steering kit (drag link flip) and control arms. It seems like these would take care of the steering issues you are having. Bump stops and drive shafts will come in time, especially if you are going to wheel it.
Old 03-16-2014, 07:39 AM
JK Junkie

The main issue here is the height of the lift. Once you go 3" and above on a JK, it gets expensive. You need about 2" to run 35" tires. If going back to stock is not an option, then going to shorter coils will at least help the steering and won't require control arms or a drag link flip. You also won't have drive shaft issues down the road.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:51 AM
JK Newbie

I am definitely keeping my 35" tires.

So I have to either buy a drag link flip kit, control arms and bump stops, or remove the current "incomplete" lift kit and have a 2"- 2.5" inch lift kit installed??

What components would be necessary in a 2.5" lift kit, in order for my jeep to function appropriately? I don't want to purchase another "incomplete" kit.

I do want to maintain some off-road drivability, and the capability to navigate light to moderate terrain, though I won't be hardcore wheeling or rock-crawling, that's why I didn't want just a budget-boost.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:07 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by LockEmUp-47
I am definitely keeping my 35" tires. So I have to either buy a drag link flip kit, control arms and bump stops, or remove the current "incomplete" lift kit and have a 2"- 2.5" inch lift kit installed?? What components would be necessary in a 2.5" lift kit, in order for my jeep to function appropriately? I don't want to purchase another "incomplete" kit. I do want to maintain some off-road drivability, and the capability to navigate light to moderate terrain, though I won't be hardcore wheeling or rock-crawling, that's why I didn't want just a budget-boost.
Throwing money at your current lift is no guarantee you'll like the outcome. 4" of lift creates challenges and there will always be tradeoffs.

The stock components really aren't bad. Many people have great luck with a budget boost. The Teraflex kit gives you everything you need. Skip the shock extensions and get shocks that you want and you're all set. Yes, you can get a little more travel with a coil lift. The more travel, the more issues.

You found a bad shop and it appears you are pretty new to working on Jeeps. I think it makes sense to avoid an even more complicated setup and investing more in your current lift. Get a simple and complete kit from Teraflex or AEV and you will have an enjoyable and trouble free ride.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:09 AM
JK Junkie

Also, read Dirtman's sticky on lifts. It really is worth the time reading it.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP with suspension problems