Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help with a strange noise in front end!

Old 01-14-2013, 03:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a strange noise in front end!

Ok so i have started to notice an odd clunking type of noise while Im driving 10mph or below. I have had the jeep lifted with a 3.5" RE Standard Kit (no arms) on 35's. I got under the jeep and took a look at what i could and i noticed that my drag link bar is somewhat loose. I understand that it should twist, but i can take it and wobble it slightly. Could this be a problem and if so would it cause my mystery noise? The sound dissipates after i go faster (probably due to road noise) I also have experienced a popping noise just every now and then when im turning a sharp corner.

Thanks to any who respond. I'm going to have the jeep looked at soon and i really would like some foreknowledge so I'm not lied to. (Had dealership tell me I should replace my Steering Stabilizer because it was bad, and that would fix any DW issue.)
Old 01-14-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

just took another drive and it sounds more like a sqeaky clunk
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Try tightening the living ba-jesus out of the track bar bolts. I tightened the bolts to spec and still had a clunking sound. I had a buddy grab the front bumper and rock the vehicle around like crazy until I could verify where the noise was coming from.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:06 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brizon85
Ok so i have started to notice an odd clunking type of noise while Im driving 10mph or below. I have had the jeep lifted with a 3.5" RE Standard Kit (no arms) on 35's. I got under the jeep and took a look at what i could and i noticed that my drag link bar is somewhat loose. I understand that it should twist, but i can take it and wobble it slightly. Could this be a problem and if so would it cause my mystery noise? The sound dissipates after i go faster (probably due to road noise) I also have experienced a popping noise just every now and then when im turning a sharp corner.

Thanks to any who respond. I'm going to have the jeep looked at soon and i really would like some foreknowledge so I'm not lied to. (Had dealership tell me I should replace my Steering Stabilizer because it was bad, and that would fix any DW issue.)
Have you looked at the u joints for the clunk?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EVO MFG
Have you looked at the u joints for the clunk?
How would you check this out?? Im having the same noise...
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
JK Newbie

I had a nasty clunking noise on my '07. I had my son rock the jeep while I was under it and it turned out being where my sway bar links attached to the sway bar. The bolt rattled in the mounting hole. I wound up putting bushings in the sway bar and using shoulder bolts to eliminate the clunking.
Good Luck!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brizon85
just took another drive and it sounds more like a sqeaky clunk
I had same noise and it was a loose swaybar disconect.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a "clunking" after installing my TF 2.5" coil lift. I went under and checked my control arms, one ended up being loose enough to move around in the joint, tightened it to spec (75 for upper, 125ft/lbs for lower) and solved that problem.

Did take me an hour to identify where the clunking was occurring though! Good luck!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by grettberg
I had a nasty clunking noise on my '07. I had my son rock the jeep while I was under it and it turned out being where my sway bar links attached to the sway bar. The bolt rattled in the mounting hole. I wound up putting bushings in the sway bar and using shoulder bolts to eliminate the clunking.
Good Luck!
interesting, my friend looked at my jeep as well and said it might have something to do with the sway bar and ends as well, I'll check that out again
Old 01-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by loserhead4236
How would you check this out?? Im having the same noise...
Just check and see if the U joint is broke (caps off) on the axle shaft.

Quick Reply: Need help with a strange noise in front end!