Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help with spare sizing.

Old 10-01-2009, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with spare sizing.

I have gotten new wheels and tires (33x12.5/15's) and now need a spare. Ive did a search and found out that i need the same diameter (height) for the spare. My question is do I need the same width (12.5) or can I get a smaller width sized 33 inch tire and be ok?
Thanks for any help.
Old 10-01-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by moosey4
I have gotten new wheels and tires (33x12.5/15's) and now need a spare. Ive did a search and found out that i need the same diameter (height) for the spare. My question is do I need the same width (12.5) or can I get a smaller width sized 33 inch tire and be ok?
Thanks for any help.
I would suggest going with the same size as the rest of your tires
Old 10-01-2009, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

If you're just going to use the spare to get you home than it shouldn't matter as long as it's the same diameter as the other tires. But, if you're going to spend the money on a new tire you might as well get the exact same tire and rotate through all 5 -- you'll get a lot more miles out of them that way.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

I agree. I would just buy a fifth tire and rotate all 5 making them last longer. You have to spend the money any way so why not.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

Yep 5 of the same tire/wheel combo and use a 5-tire rotation. Have always done that (or 7 with the dually)... works out better all around and for all the right reasons.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Freak

I went through this recently also, and wound up buying a same size tire, but a cheaper brand, since I don't do the 5 tire rotation thing. It's just there in case I need it on a trail.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Same

You could keep the stock tire like I see so many do. That would make the drive interesting after a tire change. kind of like a weeble woble???

Quick Reply: Need help with spare sizing.