Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Help with Shock Install

Old 09-15-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with Shock Install

Guys I nned some help asap. I just bought blistien 4600 series shocks for my 07 X. Put the back ones on no problem at all. The front I am having issues with and need some help.

The top of the shock when mounted has no room for the nut. I have it configured with a metal washer on the bottom than a rubber piece then thru the bracket with another rubber piece then a metal washer and then the nut. I think that is the way it is suppose to be. No instructions at all in the box but that is how the old one is configured.

ANy suggestions?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoss648
Guys I nned some help asap. I just bought blistien 4600 series shocks for my 07 X. Put the back ones on no problem at all. The front I am having issues with and need some help.

The top of the shock when mounted has no room for the nut. I have it configured with a metal washer on the bottom than a rubber piece then thru the bracket with another rubber piece then a metal washer and then the nut. I think that is the way it is suppose to be. No instructions at all in the box but that is how the old one is configured.

ANy suggestions?
Yes that is the correct setup. You may want to just really push down on the top black rubber piece as their are obstacles behind where it goes, its possible it is caught up on them? Do you have the ability to take a picture and show us?
Old 09-15-2011, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

are the rubber pieces shaped, washers also have an indentation in them? - I recall mine did and the rubber piece fit just inside the indentation on the washer - this gave it enough space to start threading it.

Doesn't need a lot of turns on the nut, mine ahve about 3-4 threads above the nut
Old 09-15-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Newbie

the way it is now there is no threads to even start with. Now i do have this metal sleeve at the bottom that holds the boot on now when I took that off I do have room to get the nut on. But by looking I may only be able to get the nut even with teh top no extra threads at all. The rubber bushings are thicker than the old ones may just use a old one on top and take that metal slleve off that olds teh top of the boot on. That may work.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

don't take the metal washers off - that'll cause the rubber bushings to wear out fast.

Can you take a picture?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeeeep
don't take the metal washers off - that'll cause the rubber bushings to wear out fast.

Can you take a picture?
Yeah the bushing will fire of like a shotgun! I know. When I installed my 2.5" teraflex coil lift I missed the top washer on the passenger side and it blew the bushing on my way to work the same night!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just helped a friend with these and the nut doesn't seem to fit with all the bushing in place, but install it that way. The bushings compress enough for the nut to go on. You can even keep compressing them if you want.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:30 AM
JK Newbie

Ok I took the metal sleeve off that was holding the boot on the top and it works. Yes you were right when I started tighting the nut the bushings compressed some. I have about 6 or so threadsover teh nut so I think that will hold.

Now lets talk about the passenger side. If I didnt have bad luck I wouldnt have any at all. Apparently when Jeep built my Wrangler they ran out of the right size bottom mounting bolt that hold the shocks on. So On the passenger side I have a 3/4 bolt which the blisteins will not work with. SO now I have to make another trip to town for the right bolt. Called the stealership and all they did was transfer me around so I guess I will buy one at lowes. Pisses me off to no end.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Back to the dealership monday. Homedepot, lowes and the local auto parts places had no bolts that would work. Had every size but what I needed. Unbelievable!!LOL Have to order one from dealer probably take a week to get until then I am dead in the water. One good piece of news the new blistein steering stabilizer went on perfect and on the first try!!!LOL I must be getting better at this mechanic stuff......
Old 09-17-2011, 03:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fastenal is your ticket for getting automotive, grade 8+ bolts. Looks like they have a location in cartersville too. I know this by experience as I ran around (autozone, oreileys, lowe's, HD, etc) looking for the same thing after spripping out a bolt. My advice, grab a couple extra to have on hand.

Quick Reply: Need Help with Shock Install