Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Help with regear from 3.21 to 4.88

Old 03-01-2013, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with regear from 3.21 to 4.88

i own a 07 JKUX manual and i finally got some extra money in to start buying pieces for a regear. i know theres MILLIONS of posts all over the web but instead of playing pick and pull im hoping someone with the mechanical knowledge or someone with the been there done that will chime in and help out here.

what exactly is needed for the regear? i mean everything from the fluids to the gears to the gaskets to the...???
unfortunately the only 4x4 shop in the immediate area likes to sell you on a lot of BS so im trying to get ALL parts and pieces necessary to do this and drop it off somewhere thats not there.

lastly, is it a smart choice to go to the 4.88's or is a 4.56 better?

any and all help would be awesome!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:23 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You need a carrier for the front with spider gears unless you do a locker too. 456 or 488 for 37 inch tires... 456 if 35s. I'd get overhaul kits for both since 07 model. No carrier needed for the back. Call Northridge and ask him for advice. Also, they sometimes run package deals.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:07 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GulfCoastJeeper
You need a carrier for the front with spider gears unless you do a locker too. 456 or 488 for 37 inch tires... 456 if 35s. I'd get overhaul kits for both since 07 model. No carrier needed for the back. Call Northridge and ask him for advice. Also, they sometimes run package deals.
He's got you covered... This is it. I bought my gears and install kits new in box here for pretty cheap. Carrier and spider gears from northridge 125.00 shipped. Lube and gaskets and a good gear man and your set. Covers if you want them. I skipped the covers because I figured after break in I could do it then, but I probably want until later. Might jeep don't see many rocks.. But the 4.88s with a 3.8 and 35s is great. At 70 I'm at 2700-2800 rpms in 6th. It's geared right. If your questioning which to go with look for the most consistent answers you find on here. That's what I did and I couldn't be happier
Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default 4.88s

I am 4.88's and 35's. If I was all highway greater then 110 km's or 70 mph I would have gone 4.56's but for any other situation 4.88's all day.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobbyspaghetti
I am 4.88's and 35's. If I was all highway greater then 110 km's or 70 mph I would have gone 4.56's but for any other situation 4.88's all day.
that beckons the question. i am highway for about 50 miles a day as a dd. with a manual, is the higher rpm going to be an issue when flow of traffic is usually between 60-70? is it better to take this money and throw it towards a good set of lockers instead?
Old 03-02-2013, 05:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

While it is apart you might as well sleeve & gusset the front axel if funds allow.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Hmmm

Originally Posted by mattyk
that beckons the question. i am highway for about 50 miles a day as a dd. with a manual, is the higher rpm going to be an issue when flow of traffic is usually between 60-70? is it better to take this money and throw it towards a good set of lockers instead?
Yeah I avoided a locker on my dana 30 in fear I would wreck stuff. In the end with no locker and 4.88's I lost my ring and pinion. If you have 3.21's I would regear as I found 3.21's just are not good for any size tire on a JK (just my opinion). What size tires are you running? I would under gear by one size if I did mostly highway. I only ensure my Jeep in the summer and it is mostly for cruising around and wheeling and grocery getting, but I have several vehicles so I am not forced to use it on long trips (although I do). If we know what tire size you have or want in the future this will be easy. For me 4.88's and 35's is perfect as we dont have freeways where I live (no 70 mph). I wouldn't have gone lower gearing but I also would not have gone higher.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bobbyspaghetti
Yeah I avoided a locker on my dana 30 in fear I would wreck stuff. In the end with no locker and 4.88's I lost my ring and pinion. If you have 3.21's I would regear as I found 3.21's just are not good for any size tire on a JK (just my opinion). What size tires are you running? I would under gear by one size if I did mostly highway. I only ensure my Jeep in the summer and it is mostly for cruising around and wheeling and grocery getting, but I have several vehicles so I am not forced to use it on long trips (although I do). If we know what tire size you have or want in the future this will be easy. For me 4.88's and 35's is perfect as we dont have freeways where I live (no 70 mph). I wouldn't have gone lower gearing but I also would not have gone higher.
i decided to go with the 4.56 gearing. im still running 33's until i wear them out which will probably be at least a year if not a little bit more. 4.88s is a little high for being the dd as mentioned and having a manual, i think the 4.56 will suit me fine. i wish i could afford the ARB lockers to knock this stuff all out at once but that was a little much so that'll have to wait. if i had an auto i would have gone 5.13. hopin i made the right choice

Quick Reply: Need Help with regear from 3.21 to 4.88