Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help with a popping sound

Old 09-13-2012, 08:16 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with a popping sound

I have a 2012 JKU. Installed RK 2.5" max travel and 35" Nittos. A couple weeks ago, I installed an e auto grilles rear bumper and tire carrier. I started noticing a popping sound at crawl speed from the rear. Backing out of the garage and turning around or driving slow around anything uneven. My first thought was the D rings hitting the bumper, so I put daystar isolators on. Then I thought, maybe the bumper was tweaked a little and I didn't have it line up straight and the popping was the bumper moving whenever the frame is twisting on uneven ground. I loosened all the bolts and the bumper is solid. I can't move it in any direction. I don't think the bumper is the sound. I checked for loose shocks, CAs, track bars, sway bar links.. Everything I can think of. I noticed the boot on the rear drive shaft had some wear on it, so I crawled under and checked it out. There is a skid plate on the evap canister on the 12s. The ds is about 1 1/2" from the evap canister, but there is a rub on the side of the plate and on the ds boot where they are coming in contact. I am assuming this is the popping sound I keep hearing and relocate the canister. Why am I getting that much play in the ds? Do I have other problems? Jeep has 4000 miles on it and hasn't been on the trails yet.

Thanks,
Micah
Old 09-13-2012, 08:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried having someone else back it out of the garage while you walk next to it and listen for the source?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LOST
Tried having someone else back it out of the garage while you walk next to it and listen for the source?
Yea, I had my wife drive it and I can't nail it down. The ds has me a bit concerned. I'll throw up some pics of the ds when I get back to work.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Two things..
1) my roommate bought a eBay rear bumper and the latch was screwed up and it would make all kinds of noises and even open.

2) is your coil isolator seated right on the coil
Old 09-13-2012, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow
Two things..
1) my roommate bought a eBay rear bumper and the latch was screwed up and it would make all kinds of noises and even open.

2) is your coil isolator seated right on the coil
I'm pretty sure the coil isolater is seated right, but I wll check it out as soon as I get off work. Thanks

Here's some pics of the drive shaft..Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 035.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	365353Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 037.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	365354Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 036.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	40.0 KB