Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help picking out new shoes

Old 11-24-2011, 10:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help picking out new shoes

Hey guys, I've been a member for a while now but this is my first post and I need some help/advice.

So I have a 2010 black 4 door sport, I've added a few minor mods but now I'm looking for a new tire/wheel combo. I'm looking into getting some 16 or 17 inch Micky Thompson Classic II's or Pro Comp 7069's with some BFG A/Ts. Its still my daily driver and I really don't get a chance to wheel that often so I'm looking for a nice balance of on/off road performance. I was also looking at duratracs and km2's but after reading through the forums for a while I think I'm gonna go with the A/Ts.

So anyway, my question is about sizing. I'm still kind of a noob, and what I was basically looking for the biggest size I could get without getting a lift. Eventually I'd like to add a 2.5 inch lift but for now I'm looking for something that I can still use without the lift. I know there are other factors i need to take into account such as backspacing and such, so I figured I'd ask the experts over here in the JK forum. So I was looking for 16 or 17 inch wheels with 33 inch tires but what quite sure exactly what I needed in terms of exact models/measurements. I also know some guys have rubbing on the front bumper, but I have a XHD stubby and that wont be a issue. So I figured since the holidays are coming up I might treat myself to a little present and I just needed some advice. Thanks in advance guys.
Old 11-24-2011, 11:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great first post!

33's are fine with no lift. I'd seriously consider a 16" rim due to more rubber and pricing. I know you said KM2's are far down on your list, but I've got 35" KM2's with 35K on them and they look damn near brand new! You may need to trim your pinch seam depending on the tire width, I.E. 12.50 which is what I'd recommend for width. You will also want a rim with at least 4.5" of back spacing as well. With a 33" tire, you won't have to worry about bumper rub either... Hope this helps and happy gobble gobble day!

Quick Reply: Need help picking out new shoes