Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Help - Out of ideas

Old 01-06-2013, 01:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pirate
Does it only happen when you go from rev to fwd and fwd to rev? Or does it continue doing it while driving? Stop and go traffic?
I also think its gonna be drive shaft related, do you have the shaft installed correctly? Joints in the correct order? As well ( it happens) do you have the correct shaft installed ( length, size)?
Is the shaft greaseable ( you have aftermarket ?) ? Have you greased it?

The sound only happen when either starting from a stop or when coming to a stop. Like whatever it is, is shifting load from front to back and back to front. When driving, everything is fine, no noise with the exception of maybe taking turns where I slow down and then hit the gas. Again, only happens when it is below freezing outside. I drove my Jeep 75 miles today and it was totally fine with zero noise. But it is 45 degrees today.

Both driveshafts are Coast 1310 purchased from Northridge with Spicer joints and are greasable and have been greased at every oil change since they went in 9 months ago. Last oil change was 800 miles ago. They were professionally installed with new yokes. The pinion angle on rear is perfect and I've had the Jeep alinged to be within spec for my lift.

Originally Posted by jk4thedirt
Just out of curiosity, who put in the gears? Did you change you yokes when yo It sounds more like gears or a locker clunk to me. who put in the DS? Maybe end play.

Gears were installed by my dealer about 15,000 miles ago. They used Superior with master overhaul kit. I have wheeled on these gears quite a bit and they are silent.

I have zero movement in the rear driveshaft so I didn't take any video. But here is my front DS which I;ve been told is totally normal.. Maybe it is not??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcVo2lErC1c
Old 01-06-2013, 04:36 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That movement is fine , I have had a noise also and today I pulled the DS (front) and its now gone . The double C V joint is binding and its only a month old! Gonna send it back and have them rebuild it.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Novae21
That movement is fine , I have had a noise also and today I pulled the DS (front) and its now gone . The double C V joint is binding and its only a month old! Gonna send it back and have them rebuild it.
Was yours only in cold weather?? Or was your noise different from mine?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

How many miles are on your jeep? The noise seems to be coming from the transfer case more so then from the diff? ( if I heard right) with your new gears you may have stretched the chain, and allowing more slop. Have you tried puttin it into 4wd when it's cold out? Does it go away? Something to try out.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pirate
How many miles are on your jeep? The noise seems to be coming from the transfer case more so then from the diff? ( if I heard right) with your new gears you may have stretched the chain, and allowing more slop. Have you tried puttin it into 4wd when it's cold out? Does it go away? Something to try out.

Jeep has about 28,000 miles. Gears went in around 12 to 13K miles. Yes, when I put it in 4wd it is either gone or harder to produce the sound. I guess it's not fair to say completely gone....but improved...

Can you explain a bit more about what you are saying? Is it fixable?? and if it is a chain, would that only be affected by the cold weather? The cold weather is the ONLY thing that is constant in my issue.

Last edited by mpkelley20; 01-06-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm just going to go out and say it, we all drive lifted vehicles with huge tires even when compared to big trucks and the didnt really start out as super great vehicles to start with... They are jeeps not Porsches. In my opinion as long as it starts, moves, and functions as it should, a little noise isn't going to bother me too much. The suspension and drivetrain technology is ancient and we beat on them constantly, even a perfectly maintained jeep is going to have some noises... They even came like that from the factory, it's just the nature of the beast.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Well I live with noises all the time with my jeep. However, the noise I am getting is NOT something to just ignore right now. Maybe it's nothing but a binding control arm bushing but maybe it's an axle u joint about to blow which could be dangerous if I'm driving on the road with other vehicles. Or my transfer case about to explode.

Before I start swapping out any part that could cause catastrophic issues, I am trying my best to see if I can find what the issue is. I'd rather not buy new axles, drive shafts (or u joints), transfer cases, whatever only to find that the noise is still there.

I can deal with squeaks, humming tires, rattling stuff but I draw the line at stuff I can hear over my radio and feel throughout the jeep.

I have a few more things I am going to look at with a few mechanic friends and then bring it to a buddy about 2 hours away that specializes in jeeps if the noise is still there.

I hope it ends up being a noise I can live with but when people like David from Northridge tells me that the noise is not normal, I tend to listen.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
Well I live with noises all the time with my jeep. However, the noise I am getting is NOT something to just ignore right now. Maybe it's nothing but a binding control arm bushing but maybe it's an axle u joint about to blow which could be dangerous if I'm driving on the road with other vehicles. Or my transfer case about to explode.

Before I start swapping out any part that could cause catastrophic issues, I am trying my best to see if I can find what the issue is. I'd rather not buy new axles, drive shafts (or u joints), transfer cases, whatever only to find that the noise is still there.

I can deal with squeaks, humming tires, rattling stuff but I draw the line at stuff I can hear over my radio and feel throughout the jeep.

I have a few more things I am going to look at with a few mechanic friends and then bring it to a buddy about 2 hours away that specializes in jeeps if the noise is still there.

I hope it ends up being a noise I can live with but when people like David from Northridge tells me that the noise is not normal, I tend to listen.
I stand corrected, then yes I would be worried too!!! Especially if you can hear it over your radio! Sorry man, I hope I don't start to follow the same path... I have a 2010 4dr rubicon and I just put a 3 inch lift with 35" tires, new lowers all around and stock axles/driveshafts. I guess we'll see how it goes. I wish the best of luck, it's just the people that complain about a little click that deserve a reality check hahah. Good luck, hope it's not too serious!
Old 01-06-2013, 06:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a popping sound coming from the rear track bar where it is bolted to the axle. I thought I tightened it down enough when I installed it, but I needed to tighten the LIVING HELL out of it! That popping sound seemed to be temperamental as well. So I would go out and shake the jeep vigorously by the bumpers and see if I could recognize where the sound was coming from. Took awhile but narrowed it down. Maybe its that?
Old 01-06-2013, 07:03 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MangoWilly
I had a popping sound coming from the rear track bar where it is bolted to the axle. I thought I tightened it down enough when I installed it, but I needed to tighten the LIVING HELL out of it! That popping sound seemed to be temperamental as well. So I would go out and shake the jeep vigorously by the bumpers and see if I could recognize where the sound was coming from. Took awhile but narrowed it down. Maybe its that?
You should invest in a torque wrench so you know all the bolts are to spec.

Quick Reply: Need Help - Out of ideas