Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Help - Out of ideas

Old 01-05-2013, 06:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help - Out of ideas

I posted a similar thread a week ago about a noise I was getting on my Jeep on acceleration and stopping. A clicking/popping sound. I have gone through every suspension compoent on my Jeep and tightened anything that was remotely loose. Found a couple of loose jam nuts which were fixed as well as a loose bolt on my drag link. Everything is tight. Also checked all u-joints on axle and driveshafts and they appear fine. No strange movements at all with any parts we looked at.

The one thing that I can narrow the noise down to is that it ONLY happens when it is below freezing outside. If its above 30 degrees, the noise is nowhere to be heard. So I need help is getting some ideas on what would cause this noise ONLY when it is below freezing. My build is in my sig....

I will add that I have NOT pulled my diff covers yet. Someone mentioned maybe I have water in the diff and it is freezing but the noise does not go away after driving for 20 minutes. I would think that if there was water in the diff, it would melt when the oil heats up. But honestly, This noise does not sound like anything in the diff...

Someone else suggested that maybe the frame end joint on my Rock Krawler arms are binding maybe due to the cold..?? I am lost....need help!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=au-taMlAl2U
Old 01-05-2013, 07:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I don't know why it would be cold related, but could it be coming from your driveshafts? Also have you tried lifting the vehicle on a rack and having someone drive it while you listen from underneath?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BigSteve
I don't know why it would be cold related, but could it be coming from your driveshafts? Also have you tried lifting the vehicle on a rack and having someone drive it while you listen from underneath?
As we can tell, driveshafts (both 9 month old 1310 Costs shafts) seem to be fine. No play at all with and no noise coming from them when manualy attempting to move. I did try a simple put it in drive and hit both the gas and brake (to see if it was coming from engine) and the noise does not happen. Only happens when I move so it is somehow related to actual movement. I think maybe I will try to put it on jack stands and kick it into drive to see if the noise is there. If it is not, then I will definitley know it requires weight shifting and most likely a bushing or something. Lift isn't even a year old so hopefully not a bad joint somewhere..
Old 01-06-2013, 05:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first thought when watching/listening to your video was driveline slop/bad u-joint. Just a gut reaction.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:50 AM
JK Super Freak

I guess if you wanted to nail down for sure if it is one of the driveshafts you could take one out and drive it then take the other out and drive it.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

I might take front shaft off and see. I need temps below freezing though. It's 47 degrees today and jeep has been totally fine.

This is really weird!!!!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:20 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Sounds like drive shaft.

Trending Topics

Old 01-06-2013, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by familytime
Sounds like drive shaft.
Maybe but we can't see or feel anything wrong with either DS. Plus, would a failing u joint only make noise when temps are below freezing??
Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Does it only happen when you go from rev to fwd and fwd to rev? Or does it continue doing it while driving? Stop and go traffic?
I also think its gonna be drive shaft related, do you have the shaft installed correctly? Joints in the correct order? As well ( it happens) do you have the correct shaft installed ( length, size)?
Is the shaft greaseable ( you have aftermarket ?) ? Have you greased it?
Old 01-06-2013, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

Just out of curiosity, who put in the gears? Did you change you yokes when yo It sounds more like gears or a locker clunk to me. who put in the DS? Maybe end play.

Quick Reply: Need Help - Out of ideas