Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Help now. Front driveshaft ujoint replacment.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help now. Front driveshaft ujoint replacment.

Is the front driveshaft ujoint replaceable? I have it out of the jeep and I don't see the clips I'm used to seeing. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock driveshaft? Then no, it's not a U-joint, it's a CV Joint - I do not believe that they are serviceable or replaceable
Old 10-24-2013, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. Looks like a normal ujoint to me except not clips. Just spent last hour removing it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3327393544.jpg
Views:	697
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	507717  
Old 10-24-2013, 06:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by bsmarble
Is the front driveshaft ujoint replaceable? I have it out of the jeep and I don't see the clips I'm used to seeing. Thanks.
OEM? It's not actually a U-joint, if so. It's an Rzeppa joint. There is an aftermarket kit to rebuild it, but majority of folks just put in a new DS--often with real U-joints.

Crown Automotive 528533FRK - Drive Shaft CV Joint Repair Kit for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Old 10-24-2013, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm looking at the front that attaches to the dif.

Name:	image-1983916466.jpg
Views:	5116
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	507719  
Old 10-24-2013, 07:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Did you look inside the ears for the clips?

Name:	IMG_20131024_104905.jpg
Views:	701
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	507729  

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 10-24-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:57 AM
JK Freak

Default Bloody well right!

Yes you are right. That is a U-joint (also called single cardan) on the driveshaft where it attaches to the front differential. Why Jeep chose to use a U-joint for the front of the front driveshaft and CV joints for the transfer case end and for both ends of the rear driveshaft is beyond me. They should have used the same CVs all around. I guess they wanted to save a few bucks with the cheaper U-joint on a driveshaft that is not normally under load or flexing at highway speeds.

Based on your picture and my own investigations, although the 3 CV joints can be rebuilt (~ $100 for kit), the front U-joint caps are semi-permanently inserted into the driveshaft and differential flange. Unless you want to re-machine the driveshaft and differential U-joint yokes to accept standard U-joints with C-clips, you will have to replace the entire driveshaft.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:01 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by Sahara Lee
Yes you are right. That is a U-joint (also called single cardan) on the driveshaft where it attaches to the front differential. Why Jeep chose to use a U-joint for the front of the front driveshaft and CV joints for the transfer case end and for both ends of the rear driveshaft is beyond me. They should have used the same CVs all around. I guess they wanted to save a few bucks with the cheaper U-joint on a driveshaft that is not normally under load or flexing at highway speeds.

Based on your picture and my own investigations, although the 3 CV joints can be rebuilt (~ $100 for kit), the front U-joint caps are semi-permanently inserted into the driveshaft and differential flange. Unless you want to re-machine the driveshaft and differential U-joint yokes to accept standard U-joints with C-clips, you will have to replace the entire driveshaft.
Thanks, Sahara Lee: Don't know what I was thinking.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Wow! Thanks everyone for the help. I ended up putting it all back together as the ujoint seemed ok anyways. Just trying to eliminate the possible cause of a clunking noise when in 4wd and under load.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
OEM? It's not actually a U-joint, if so. It's an Rzeppa joint. There is an aftermarket kit to rebuild it, but majority of folks just put in a new DS--often with real U-joints. Crown Automotive 528533FRK - Drive Shaft CV Joint Repair Kit for 07-14 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Anyone have experience with this rebuild kit ^ ?

Noticed when I was under the jeep last oil change I have a minor bit if grease spatter on the joint fir the front drive shaft at the t case.

No idea how long it's been there no base line to judge. TF leveling kit installed about 38,000km ago mostly all DD, total 147,000 on the clock

No plans to exceed 2.5" lift someday down the road. Thinking to get what I need ready to rebuild as a precaution. Anyone seen a good write up on how to,

Thanks

Quick Reply: Need Help now. Front driveshaft ujoint replacment.