Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help with non-functioning JK 2014

Old 10-31-2016, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with non-functioning JK 2014

Hi Folks,

Brand new here so please excuse any faux pas. But I am facing a weird issue with my JK and am stumped as to how to get it fixed.
So I have a 2014 JK Rubicon that I modified with 35 in tires a 3 in lift (Rubicon Express) and 4.56 gearing. I had used a superchips flashback to change tire size and gear ratios and that worked fine for several months. During my last trip I got the CEL which was indicating a defective oil pressure sensor, I also noticed that sometimes it would stick in N after I change from N to D (it would rev. but not go) and then it would be fine when I would change again from N to D.
Took it to the dealer who proceeded to update the PCM and replace the transmission solenoid. At that point they started getting weird transmission behavior, it would go into limp mode. I had returned the maps back to stock but left the tire size and gear ratio to their correct numbers.
They went ahead and took the transmission out and could not find any issues. They said it is probably due to the fact that the size and gear ratios had to be re-entered. I had the super chips module in the car so they called and they said they plugged it in and everything was fine.
I went to pick it up and it was not fine, with the stock values in, the car goes in limp mode (makes sense), if I update the values it starts shifting very weirdly (at low rims) and knocks while shifting and then the CEL comes on with the error code P1731.
The dealer says it has nothing to do with them, that they tried everything that was mechanical and the the problem is coming from the tuner module.
I bought a hyper tech module and it gives the same behavior.
After several calls to super chips one of the techs said that they are indeed seeing this issue with only 2014 JK and the new chrysler PCM. They had me do a hard battery reset, and that seems to work fine until I turn the engine off and back on and the problem comes back. I drove it for 15 miles after the reset than stopped and started again and it started doing the same thing. One odd thing is that though it was running fine, I could not change the gears manually.
Suoerchips syas that have tried both Hypertech and Procal and see the same issue with both.
They say it will take 2-3 months to get to the bottom of it, and that there are no guarantees that they will be able to find a fix.
So I am stuck with a very expensive rig that I cannot use.
Any of you encountered something similar to this? Should I just bite the buller and return the gearing to stock?
Also, if you know of a reputable/experienced shop in the San Jose Bay Area please let me know, maybe they can take a crack at it.
I am kind of at the end of my rope and have exhausted everything I could think of.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Raymond
Old 10-31-2016, 10:53 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, worst case is a new ECM from a pre 2014. When that change happened, RIPP was sending new ECMs with their super charger kits. You may try giving them a call as they may at least have some additional insight for you.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:12 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought the problem was with the 2015 ECMs but my memory is questionable at best.

I have a '14 with 35s and 4.56s and had trouble getting mine out of limp mode. I used an interceptor to set the gear ratio and it didn't work. I then bought a SC flashcal to set the gear ratio and that didn't work. I then reset to stock with the flashcal and suddenly it was working. I still had the gear ratio set to 4.56 from the interceptor when I tried it with the flashcal so now the flashcal thinks that is stock.

So you could try setting the gears to 4.56 with the Hypertech. Then changing it with the SC. I changed it to 3.73 and then back to 4.56. Then do a return to stock with the SC. It's weird and may not work but it solved my problem. My interceptor doesn't marry itself to the vehicle. I don't know if that will cause any issues with your Hypertech.

Last edited by 14Sport; 10-31-2016 at 03:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 14Sport
I thought the problem was with the 2015 ECMs but my memory is questionable at best.

I have a '14 with 35s and 4.56s and had trouble getting mine out of limp mode. I used an interceptor to set the gear ratio and it didn't work. I then bought a SC flashcal to set the gear ratio and that didn't work. I then reset to stock with the flashcal and suddenly it was working. I still had the gear ratio set to 4.56 from the interceptor when I tried it with the flashcal so now the flashcal thinks that is stock.

So you could try setting the gears to 4.56 with the Hypertech. Then changing it with the SC. I changed it to 3.73 and then back to 4.56. Then do a return to stock with the SC. It's weird and may not work but it solved my problem. My interceptor doesn't marry itself to the vehicle. I don't know if that will cause any issues with your Hypertech.
Thanks for the input, I have also tried Procal but that did not work either.
Superchips is adamant that they see the problem with 2014 JKs and that has something to do with the new Chrysler TCM. I called at least 4 other tuner companies and none of them have heard of that issue.
It is odd that SC told me they tried hyoertech and pro cal and that it did not make a difference and I have seen the same thing.
I was hoping more folks on the forum would have been familiar with it.
Very confused at this point, but I will try your approach and see if it works.
Thanks
Old 11-07-2016, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
No, worst case is a new ECM from a pre 2014. When that change happened, RIPP was sending new ECMs with their super charger kits. You may try giving them a call as they may at least have some additional insight for you.
Thanks I called them but they did not think that was the issue. They seem to think it is a mechanical issue.
R
Old 11-13-2018, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

I am having same issue. Regeared with 5.13 and 37s Flashpaq program worked fine for many many miles. Changed tune to stock (did not touch extras such as gear ratio, tires, etc.) and it went into limp mode now can’t get it to work again. Did you ever fix yours?
Old 11-20-2018, 10:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Superchips 3874 Flashpaq F5 Programmer for my Jeep JK 2012. Worked fine for almost a year. I updated it Nov 10, 2018 & installed Tune 87 Nov 14, 2018. Immediately after I installed the tune my car would not start (still doesnt) & currently sitting in the gym parking lot. When I try to start the jeep I get a bunch of weird clicking nosies near my auto shifter, glove box, & fuse box under the hood. Ended up taking out the PCM & sending it back to Superchips in FL. Anyone else have this problem & if there is a fix for this?
Old 11-21-2018, 09:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed to this one

Last edited by barongan; 11-21-2018 at 09:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Need help with non-functioning JK 2014