Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help with MBRP light bar install

Old 05-23-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with MBRP light bar install

So, has anyone out there actually installed the MBRP light bar on a Rubicon??

I'm trying to do it RIGHT NOW ...and I think it doesn't fit. PLEASE HELP ME ASAP!!!!

Here's the issue, I can't seem to get the passenger side frame bracket onto the frame horn (Step 5 in the instructions that were included from MBRP) because there's a housing unit for what I'm guessing is either the electronic sway bar disconnect or axle lock. The driver side fits fine, but the passenger side won't go completely vertical and fit.

Here's some pics:

PASSENGER SIDE WITH THE FRAME BRACKET "PARTIALLY" ON BECAUSE I CAN'T GET IT TO GO ANY MORE VERTICAL:

----

DRIVER SIDE WITH THE FRAME BRACKET PROPERLY INSTALLED WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS:

----

ME POINTING IN FRUSTRATION AT THE PROBLEM:

----

VIEW FROM ABOVE OF THE PASSENGER SIDE FOR ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE:

*****PLEASE HELP ME!!!! THIS IS RUINING MY MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND!!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 04:30 AM
JK Newbie

oh man that stinks! Looks like MBRP didn't bother trying it on a Rubicon... oh wait, looking on their website the bosses Jeep is a Rubicon. Maybe that's just a Rubicon sticker. I know how you feel though. I just got Expedition One's side wings for their DX Basic bumper and they don't fit either. I was going to send them back but I think I'll just break out the tools and improvise. Can you take a grinder and grind away enough metal on that to make it fit?
Old 05-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
MBRP Representative

We have installed these on both of our Rubicons without issue. I have sent your pictures to our designers to see what your issue may be. Is the bracket hitting the rubber hanger for your sway bar disconnect or what exactly is keeping it from going vertical like it should?
Old 05-25-2009, 05:35 AM
JK Newbie

It's hard to tell from the photos but it looks like it is just hitting the rubber hanger. Can you spray some lubricant on the rubber and slide it to give more clearance? It looks like once it's past that you're good.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:57 PM
JK Newbie

It's hitting the rubber hanger. I did actually get it on finally... I sort of had to muscle it on, but it finally got on. ...Though, the bracket never really got perfectly vertical the way the driver side one did. Luckily, the machined holes on the brackets have a little leeway, so I was able to angle the light bar on. ...It looks "fine", but when you look at it closely, you can sort of tell that the light bar is not sitting perfectly symmetrical ...likely because the bracket on one side is essentially "forced" on and not sitting vertical the way the driver side is. Let me know if this was an issue with the other Rubicon installs ...but if they were the same exact brackets, I'm guessing there's no way they fit perfectly since that rubber hanger for the electronic disco is in the way.

...by the way, since I "muscled" it on, am I doing any damage to the disconnects or the rubber hanger? ...what does that rubber hanger actually do?
Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Same Problem Here!

I just installed my MBRP lightbar this past weekend and sort of had the same issue. The passenger side bracket went on okay and sits straight, but it was a squeeze to get it by the sway bar disco rubber hanger, and now it's putting some pressure on it, which worries me a litte bit. I'm worried I'm going to disconnect and not be able to reconnect, etc. Has there been a conclusion on this issue at all? Hopefully you guys are all subscribed and see this. Greatly appreciate any respones!

Quick Reply: Need help with MBRP light bar install