Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Help! Driveshaft Install Help!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help! Driveshaft Install Help!

So I'm having a hard time removing the rear pinion nut on the rear flange/axle. Any tricks?? I've done a search and not finding anything on how to beat this nut into submission!

Is it a reverse thread or standard??

Thanks!
Old 01-15-2009, 02:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Ogie
ha,
Old 01-15-2009, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joeglock
it is a stanard tread. but when i did mine i used an impact wrench.

but is the best tip i can give you. put a long screw driver to one of the bolt holes in the flang, it has to be long enough to contact the back of the pumpkin. this should hold the flange in-place. not get the biggest breaker bar or cheater bar you can find and put every once man you can into.

good luck.
Thanks, I'm trying the impact next. What sucks about the breaker bar is that there isn't much space between the floor and the control arm. I'm feeling weak and being outside where it is 27 degress is not helping!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Wow you are in for some fun tonight. Get some WD 40 spray that let it sit for about 10 minutes.....There is enough room to use a breaker bar if you arent on stands or a lift. You just have to work it in there. Also it helps if you have someone in your jeep holding he brakes and then go to town on it.

If you have any other questions ask. Wow i did mine inside and you are brave for doing it in 27 degree weather.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the tires on and chock those suckers good. Once you've got it immobile you only have to move that nut a little bit at a time. I've been doing a bunch of stuff under the Jeep at below freezing this year and I feel for you. Take a break a little before you think you need to. Get warm. The cold'll suck all the hope outta you. Get under that breaker and bench press it. You can do it. I did and I'm a wuss. It's standard thread, but it's cut a tiny bit off for a friction fit. You can do it! What the hell are you doin' still sittin' in here reading? Get out there! Go! Suck in the air and blow it out when you press it....
Old 01-15-2009, 03:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Got it, now I have to go change my pants!
Old 01-15-2009, 04:06 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
Got it, now I have to go change my pants!
manly!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:32 PM
JK Super Freak

I got the drive shaft installed! When I was tourquing the lug nuts back on the wheels the lug nut key snapped! Now they are not as tight as they need to be!
Old 01-15-2009, 07:07 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON
I got the drive shaft installed! When I was tourquing the lug nuts back on the wheels the lug nut key snapped! Now they are not as tight as they need to be!
That happened to me except the key more srtipped out. I was able to tighten the other nuts enough for the locking nuts to come out. It kinda scared me as the only place I've screwed up my tires is on the trails. I went back to my standard lug nuts except on the spare. I left that one loose enough to get off without much struggle. Shhhh don't tell anyone.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:18 PM
JK Super Freak

So today I noticed a vibration coming from the transfer case. Looked underneath and found that the transfer case was leaking a little fluid. I think the new driveshaft to transfer case flange is not tight enough. I tourqued it down to 130 foot lbs. Called and spoke to Jim at JE Reel and he said they have seen this issue where the normal tourque rating is not enough.

Does anyone have a picture, or can you take one of the flange so I know how far up it is supposed to go???

Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Need Help! Driveshaft Install Help!