Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help to decide buy JKUR manual 13 or auto 14?

Old 11-08-2013, 05:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help to decide buy JKUR manual 13 or auto 14?

I heard that there is problems in manual transmission,

I did reserved JKUR manual 2013 the production day in 7/2013. I don't know if they fix the problems ( sounds ) that in manual trans or still even in last production day 2013?
I don't want to buy new car that in there future will makes trouble even if its under warranty. wasting my time
most of my friend told me to buy auto in less problems
I am still confused !!!!
Old 11-08-2013, 08:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default auto

people may attempt to make fun of me with an automatic jeep, but at 5 speeds, no clutch to wear out, and the fact that in mud or on the side of a vertical cliff, I simply don't stall... or when at the boat ramp with the jet skis, I can left foot brake, right foot gas (and on the trail)...

LOVE me some automatic.

the torque converter is just awesome on the trail.

However... some days it would be much more FUN to drive stick... and maybe someday I'll pick up a S2000 stick.

but most days... I'll sit in traffic and not have to shift.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeep81
I heard that there is problems in manual transmission,

I did reserved JKUR manual 2013 the production day in 7/2013. I don't know if they fix the problems ( sounds ) that in manual trans or still even in last production day 2013?
I don't want to buy new car that in there future will makes trouble even if its under warranty. wasting my time
most of my friend told me to buy auto in less problems
I am still confused !!!!
I haven't heard about any issues with the manual transmission. However, the Auto is much improved in the 2012-2014 models. (the 2007-2011 had the shi**y 4-speed)

My new 2014 will be here on Monday, and I ordered it with an Automatic. Autos are better on the trail (in my opinion), better at the boat ramp, necessary for remote-start, and better for eating a burrito while driving.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It really comes down to what you want. There are no recurring issues with either transmission in the newer JK's. Everyone has an opinion on which is better off road, but honestly, the puts and takes come out about even. With the 4:1 low range in the Rubi, a manual won't be an issue at all off road (you can practically stop and it won't stall).

Get the one you want, otherwise you will look back and wish you had.

I went with a manual and expected to love it on road, and not like it so much off road. I had it backwards! I drive in traffic and the manual is getting old, fast (but I'm moving, so it won't be an issue!). Off road, I LOVE having a manual. Always in the gear I want and awesome for descending (no brakes needed!).
Old 11-08-2013, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't live without my manual so it was a no brainer for me. I had an automatic for the last 5 years and hated every second of it. I crave the control and fun the manual transmission brings. Some people think it's a chore. The hill start assist is great when off-roading a manual, no rolling or hill holding with the clutch.

(2013 JKU with a June 13 build date)

Last edited by boon4376; 11-08-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Need help to decide buy JKUR manual 13 or auto 14?