Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Help With Death Wobble

Old 11-15-2014, 12:51 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tires can cause shakes but only contribute to DW. If everything is tight up front -no wear. The tires are not the cause of DW.
Old 11-15-2014, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default Some additional thoughts...

Hello all,

I have been a Jeep owner since the early 90's and wheelin' is here to stay. One of my boys has even inherited the gene. I have also been a fleet mechanic on various vehicles and commercial vehicles, so I have some mechanical ability (although I know many people know waaaaay more than me).

Every Jeep I ever owned experienced DW, including my first which was a Cherokee. I did complete suspension rebuilds to only have it return before too long. Everything said above is true, in my experience, however, one thing that is being overlooked is the steering stabilizer. With bigger tires, you stress the components. Everything has play in it...even if you can't see it, flex occurs to some extent. The purpose of the stabilizer is to stop the cycle of stress (which appears in the form of wobble or bump steer). Its kind of like when a microphone gets to close to a speaker and squeals really loud...the cycle of feedback gains momentum until grandma blows a hearing aid. Same principle in DW. The stress (or kinetic energy) gets directed one way, then the other, each time building because it is stressing further, until you get scared and think your Jeep is trying to kill you.

All of the above ideas need to be checked out. A stabilizer is not designed to compensate for bad parts. However, it is designed to break that cycle of energy being tossed from side to side. Here's the catch... the OEM stabilizer or aftermarket OEM spec stabilizer is no match for those awesome big tires! Many people experience success after initially replacing the stabilizer, but the DW eventually comes back. I highly recommend an oversized stabilizer from a truck (im not going to get into how to do that somewhat simple mod) or better yet, a dual stabilizer setup.

Those are my two cents, and I think if you double check your parts (ie: everything in this thread) and verify they are good, try the stabilizer swap. You will be amazed. And yes, badly balanced tires can contribute to the problem. As they wear, their balance changes as well. Get 'em checked every spring so you are ready for summer wheelin'/

Good luck!
Old 11-16-2014, 12:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sandypants
Most of the time your DW is caused by bigger tires, and lift. I bet after you did the lift and tires is happened didnt it? IF IT DID NOT HAPPEN AT FIRST I BET soon as enough bushings started to get older it increased or happened more and more.

Reason is you lift your jeep, but your axle pinion angle does not change. It needs to be in a ratio and rotate up.
Yes i know this is not the ONLY WAY but for all the DW problems i have fixed this is by far!!! the most common reason why.
Got my Jeep new and from factory and had lift put on before I ever drove it. Wobble started with 27000 miles on it. I have checked everything but the bushings and need take a look at my steering stabalizer again.

One thing I forgot to mention is that I get a lot of bump steer too.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mker

Got my Jeep new and from factory and had lift put on before I ever drove it. Wobble started with 27000 miles on it. I have checked everything but the bushings and need take a look at my steering stabalizer again.

I just started getting a DW but i know what the it is. My passenger side unit bearing (ujoint) is f##KED. I might do a write up about it.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mker

Post up a picture of your front end (steering linkage, trackbar, etc) as well as a little info on your setup and we will tell you why you are getting bumpsteer

Originally Posted by tribulation138
I just started getting a DW but i know what the it is. My passenger side unit bearing (ujoint) is f##KED. I might do a write up about it.
U joints and unit bearings are completely different things. Which one is actually giving you trouble?
Old 11-16-2014, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D_engel

Post up a picture of your front end (steering linkage, trackbar, etc) as well as a little info on your setup and we will tell you why you are getting bumpsteer

U joints and unit bearings are completely different things. Which one is actually giving you trouble?
The cross looking thing that has needle bearing and 4 end caps. Im installing it tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Death Wobble