Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Help With Death Wobble

Old 10-21-2014, 02:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a few easy things you can do that are free or close to it. First, get your tires balanced and rotated. Very often the issue.

Second, jack up the front of the jeep (one side at a time if all you have is a bottle jack). Check the wheel bearings and ball joints. This is insanely easy. For wheel bearings, grab the tire top and bottom and push/pull opposite at top and bottom. Any wiggle and it's a shot hub assembly. I just had that on a JK with 18k miles.

For ball joints, grab a 2x4 and shove it under the tire and use something as a fulcrum. Have someone step on it while you look at the lower ball joints. Any noticeable movement probably means they are bad.

As noted, check the control arm and track bar bushings. Also check that the bracket holes have no wallowed out. Then retorque to proper torque (you can borrow a torque wrench from any chain auto parts store). Track bar and lower control arms are 125 ft lbs.

There you go. Other than $40 for a balance and rotation, it's free.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should help, lot of good info on causes, fixes etc.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/sear...rchid=15116222

Old 10-21-2014, 07:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mker
Ok one more question. I just has my kid turn the steering wheel back and forth and I noticed the whole suspension moves about a quarter inch. Is this normal?
Look specifically at the track bar and see if you see any movement in that. There shouldn't be any. If there is get a torque wrench and make sure all the bolts are tight. If they are then the holes may be worn into an oval shape, allowing the track bar to shift back and forth, causing your DW. Is the track bar the original? Was a bracket or an adjustable track bar added when the lift was installed?
Old 11-06-2014, 11:36 AM
JK Newbie

No it is a new track bar and it is solid. Took it to the dealer again because my warranty is up next month. Now they claim I need new tires. Can bad tires really cause that bad of a wobble? Also, it only happens when I hit a bump with my right front tire so if I rotate them, shouldn't that fix it?
Old 11-06-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Forum Regional Rep

No it is a new track bar and it is solid. Took it to the dealer again because my warranty is up next month. Now they claim I need new tires. Can bad tires really cause that bad of a wobble? Also, it only happens when I hit a bump with my right front tire so if I rotate them, shouldn't that fix it?
Generally it's not the root of the problem but a trigger.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Just my 2 cents:

1) Ball Joints
2) Trackbar loose bolts
3) Bent Axle Tubing - Only for offroaders

I had to sleeve my axle tubes to straighten them, then trussed it and installed new ball joints. Good as new. My DW was in direct relation to bad ball joints. 2012 JK 2DR 28K KM (17.5K miles).
Old 11-06-2014, 01:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can bad tires really cause that bad of a wobble?
YES! No matter what any one else says, the Answers is yes. Please see my previous post. I spent hundreds of dollars chasing the DW and it was tires.

RT
Old 11-06-2014, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rtwill78

YES! No matter what any one else says, the Answers is yes. Please see my previous post. I spent hundreds of dollars chasing the DW and it was tires.

RT
YES! I thought they were crazy saying it was my tires but they were right. I haven't had a problem since i put new ones on.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Newbie

Ok got new tires today. Haven't had a chance to test thoroughly but still have a slight shake in steering wheel. To be continued...
Old 11-14-2014, 10:59 PM
JK Newbie

Most of the time your DW is caused by bigger tires, and lift. I bet after you did the lift and tires is happened didnt it? IF IT DID NOT HAPPEN AT FIRST I BET soon as enough bushings started to get older it increased or happened more and more.

Reason is you lift your jeep, but your axle pinion angle does not change. It needs to be in a ratio and rotate up.
Yes i know this is not the ONLY WAY but for all the DW problems i have fixed this is by far!!! the most common reason why.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Death Wobble