Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Help With Death Wobble

Old 10-20-2014, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help With Death Wobble

Ok I am out of ideas for this death wobble. My jeep has a 2.5 tereflex lift with 35" tires. It's a 2012 with only 24K miles on it. I have replace the drag link and tie rod. Took it to the dealership (again) and this time they said everything is 'solid' but that I only needed an alignment. I protested that this would not fix it but they insisted. A day later I went on a road trip and sure enough got the DW. It is always around 40-45 mph and usually when there is a slight curve to the road. It also only happens when I hit a bump with my left front (drivers side) tire. The DW is really bad. Steering wheel violently rotates back and forth until i can slow down enough for it to stop.

So my question is, knowing this, what would you recommend? I have watch PLANMAN's video and they are great, but I am not a mechanic and the dealership certainly doesn't want real advice on how to fix it. Seems like chysler is in denial about this issue.

BTW, this is my 9th wrangler and have never had this issue before (yeah i know i am lucky)
Old 10-20-2014, 12:20 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If you aren't comfortable performing the steps in planmans writeup, and the dealership can't be bothered, why not take it to a shop that 'is' willing to check your components for you? Any of your local 4x4 shops should be competent enough to check them out, or at least to follow the write-up and video and go through all the steps.

Or, since the trackbar bolts seem to be a fairly common cause, maybe save some hassle and just run to Harbor Freight to grab a $15 torque wrench, and verify that those two bolts are tight.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:33 PM
JK Newbie

I live in Scottsdale, AZ and there are not many (actually none that i know of) 4x4 shops. However, I have taken it to a shop in Phoenix three times. That is actually were I got those parts previously mentioned replaced. They are only open during the week and are quite far so it is problematic to go to them.

I should by a torque wrench and checkout those bolts though.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

There are all kinds of 4x4 shops in phoenix. Absolute offroad, 4 wheelers supply, trail jeeps, rpm, letzroll just to name a few.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:08 PM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel for you! I never resolved mine - I'm thinking of trading it in for a new JK and letting Chrysler deal with it. There is still nothing like the JK, but I will not lift mine this time and try flat fenders etc. in order to fit larger tires. Is a lift really needed for, especially for a 2-door? It seems the tire diameter is most critical...
Old 10-20-2014, 03:20 PM
JK Newbie

Have you replaced the oem trackbar? If you still have the oem one installed, have someone turn the wheels back and forth while you watch the trackbar for flex and the mounting points for movement. I was amazed at how much the oem trackbar moved around.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:43 PM
JK Newbie

Ok one more question. I just had my kid turn the steering wheel back and forth and I noticed the whole suspension moves about a quarter inch. Is this normal?

Last edited by mker; 11-06-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:45 PM
JK Newbie

Steering geometry moves alot of suspension components there shouldn't be free movement just all your suspension will move during steering
Old 10-20-2014, 04:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mker
Ok one more question. I just has my kid turn the steering wheel back and forth and I noticed the whole suspension moves about a quarter inch. Is this normal?
sounds like your trackbar bushings are shot or the brackets are wallowed out. Pull the TB and inspect the ends and ensure the mounts dont have an elongated hole which will cause the entire front axle to shift from side to side.

And here in Phoenix, we are blessed with tons of offroad shops. PM me if you need help finding one
Old 10-20-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

I was in your place a couple months back. A shimmy between 40 - 50 and then would smooth out until certain bump would bring on full DW. I already replaced the Drag Link with Synergy and have their Tie Rod waiting to be installed. I had a hard time believing both DL and TR were bad with only 19,000 miles on it and went over the front end a thousand times. Come to find out the tires need to be balanced.

Also look VERY closely to your track bar ends when turning side to side.. But I'm leaning toward the tire balancing.

Last edited by Enjoytheride; 10-20-2014 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Need Help With Death Wobble