Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help choosing the right lift

Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need help choosing the right lift

I'm starting to think that I need to lift my 2007 Rubicon Unlimited 2-3 inches. I currently have 35" tires, a 1.5" body lift and flat fenders. It's been working well but some of the places I've been going recently would have been easier (and smoother) with some additional space under the frame and greater weight carrying capacity. Almost all my off-roading is on expedition type trips, not technical trail running.

I have a Body Armor steel rear bumper and swing-away tire carrier. I have the tire all the way back and a Hi-Lift jack mounted up. I also often carry two five gallon steel gas cans on the rack. That's a lot of weight hanging way back behind the axle. I'm using Air-Lift airbags to help with the load but they're a very imperfect solution. In addition to the gas, I usually have a fair amount cargo weight. I'd estimate somewhere between 200-300 pounds minimum (plus two people).

My Jeep is also a daily driver so I need something that behaves very well on the street.

Can anyone suggest the "perfect" lift for my requirements?

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer
I'm starting to think that I need to lift my 2007 Rubicon Unlimited 2-3 inches. I currently have 35" tires, a 1.5" body lift and flat fenders. It's been working well but some of the places I've been going recently would have been easier (and smoother) with some additional space under the frame and greater weight carrying capacity. Almost all my off-roading is on expedition type trips, not technical trail running.

I have a Body Armor steel rear bumper and swing-away tire carrier. I have the tire all the way back and a Hi-Lift jack mounted up. I also often carry two five gallon steel gas cans on the rack. That's a lot of weight hanging way back behind the axle. I'm using Air-Lift airbags to help with the load but they're a very imperfect solution. In addition to the gas, I usually have a fair amount cargo weight. I'd estimate somewhere between 200-300 pounds minimum (plus two people).

My Jeep is also a daily driver so I need something that behaves very well on the street.

Can anyone suggest the "perfect" lift for my requirements?

Thanks!
You know, if you ask 100 people about this you're going to get 100 differing answers. We each have our "favorite" and everyone can tell you why theirs is the best etc, etc. My advice is to find guys in your area and look at their lifts, ask them about satisfaction with it and then go for it. All I can tell you, from my experience, is that I run the Rubicon Express 3.5 Superflex system and I love it. Great off and on road. I put it on myself in my driveway and with the adjustable lower control arms, I was able to do the caster adjustment easily. This setup is also warrantied for life. Recently my bushings (the old original rubber type that came with it) wore out. The guys at 4-Wheel Parts just gave me new ones and they are the polyurethane bushings. They are great. I can't speak highly enough of this product.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as said before asking for a specific lift you are going to get so many different answers. My experience has clayton rock krawler and Teraflex are the best companies to go with and with 35s i would go with a 2.5-3.5 lift and flat flares as a reference here is my 07 with 35s ,2.5 and flatsClick image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121018_102942.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	403628Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep1.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	403629Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0139.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	403630 also mine is a DD with A PS Brawler front and LoD Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier

Last edited by holmes4x4; 12-30-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 02:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. I know there are a dozen lifts out there and hundreds of opinions. I've checked around before and trying to get a straight answer about load capacity has been very hard. It's been a while though so I guess I'll call around and ask again.

I'm thinking that I'll want to stay low enough that I don't have to make driveline modifications so probably a coil and shock only lift instead of replacing the arms.

Quick Reply: Need help choosing the right lift