Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help broken lug key

Old 11-09-2008, 12:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are right. What are the odds of this crap happening..

My wife is picking up the kit from sears to remove the security lugs and mailing it to me on monday and a forum member is sending me some lugnuts after I posted in the wanted section. I just need a couple more and I will be good to go!
Old 11-09-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

You will need a 1/2 drive socket and use as little of force as possible to remove the lug, otherwise its quite a pain to get the lug out of the tool itself, I had to rethread it back on to break the first lug out of the tool.... you'll see...it gets quite a grip.

Lnufnu
Old 11-09-2008, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lnufnu
You will need a 1/2 drive socket and use as little of force as possible to remove the lug, otherwise its quite a pain to get the lug out of the tool itself, I had to rethread it back on to break the first lug out of the tool.... you'll see...it gets quite a grip.

Lnufnu

Well, I'm just happy to know that there is a way to get them off if I can't get another key. Thanks for the tip!

Willy J
Old 11-09-2008, 11:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Willy J
So I finished putting on my lift today and when I put my wheels back on, my key for my locking lugs broke. Problem is I have my new tires coming in a few days and need these lugs off.

They're McGard lugs that are smooth on the round as the key engages inside the lug. I have the security code to order a new key but that'll take weeks to get and I don't want to wait that long. What am I going to do??? Any suggestions are welcome. I thought of having a buddy weld an old lug on top of each locking lug to facitlitate getting them off.

Thanks!
it's actually really easy. Just get a cheapo socket that fits over the outside of the mcguard lock (check what size you'll need by using your good tools at home, them once you know what the size is head to a local store and get a POS japanese socket. Hold it straight over the lock jam it on there smash it with a hammer just so it is on enough to get a good bite. grab the ratchet with a decent sized extension and spin it off.

I know it sounds impossible but it will be surprisingly easy. When I was younger I was big into building fox body mustangs. I was always buying wrecks and fliping them or building them up till I was bored with em. And 90% of them were missing the damn lug key which was also McGuard. Needless to say I have done this several hundred times. I think it was a 19mm socket that worked...but I forget...but I promise it will work and be very easy.

If you have them on too tight and can't get em off take a die grinder with a metal cutting wheel and cut a cross into the top of each one (right on the head) this will release the tension in the metal and make em spin right off.
Old 11-10-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trick50
it's actually really easy. Just get a cheapo socket that fits over the outside of the mcguard lock (check what size you'll need by using your good tools at home, them once you know what the size is head to a local store and get a POS japanese socket. Hold it straight over the lock jam it on there smash it with a hammer just so it is on enough to get a good bite. grab the ratchet with a decent sized extension and spin it off.

I know it sounds impossible but it will be surprisingly easy. When I was younger I was big into building fox body mustangs. I was always buying wrecks and fliping them or building them up till I was bored with em. And 90% of them were missing the damn lug key which was also McGuard. Needless to say I have done this several hundred times. I think it was a 19mm socket that worked...but I forget...but I promise it will work and be very easy.

If you have them on too tight and can't get em off take a die grinder with a metal cutting wheel and cut a cross into the top of each one (right on the head) this will release the tension in the metal and make em spin right off.

These detailed instuctions would have been awesome if I read them about a half hour ago. I just ordered a new key from McGard and I'm having them Fed ex to me . Should be here Friday. $20 for the key, $37 for the shipping. I almost couldn't live any futher away in North America!! Thanks for all the advice guys. Hopefully they'll get here on time and I can get my 34's on!

Willy J
Old 02-12-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Willy J
So I finished putting on my lift today and when I put my wheels back on, my key for my locking lugs broke. Problem is I have my new tires coming in a few days and need these lugs off.

They're McGard lugs that are smooth on the round as the key engages inside the lug. I have the security code to order a new key but that'll take weeks to get and I don't want to wait that long. What am I going to do??? Any suggestions are welcome. I thought of having a buddy weld an old lug on top of each locking lug to facitlitate getting them off.

Thanks!
Just recently found myself in this situation.. how do you find the code for the key??

Quick Reply: Need help broken lug key