Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help broken lug key

Old 11-08-2008, 05:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

grind off chrome and mig weld a nut on it that's what i had to do when my key broke had to do all 4
never ever put lock nuts on it again
Old 11-08-2008, 06:10 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Willy J
So I finished putting on my lift today and when I put my wheels back on, my key for my locking lugs broke. Problem is I have my new tires coming in a few days and need these lugs off.

They're McGard lugs that are smooth on the round as the key engages inside the lug. I have the security code to order a new key but that'll take weeks to get and I don't want to wait that long. What am I going to do??? Any suggestions are welcome. I thought of having a buddy weld an old lug on top of each locking lug to facitlitate getting them off.

Thanks!
Find a 1/2" drive socket that will BARELY NOT fit over the lugs. Then, tap it on the locking lug with a hammer. Take a 1/2" ratcher or pull handle and break the lug loose. Works everytime.

On EDIT. I saw where someone else had already mentioned this and you said there wasn't enough room. The mig welded nut on the end is probably about your best alternative then.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 11-08-2008 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm gonna give McGard a call & see if they'll overnight it. If not, I'll have my buddy weld a nut on them & we'll do it that way.
Old 11-08-2008, 09:54 AM
JK Super Freak

When I worked in a garage we had a tool for this from snapon. They came in a few sizes. It was basically a socket with a round opening instead of a hex. It had a few teeth inside. Tap that on a little with the BFH then hook up the air gun. Push on the gun as you loosen. They come right off. This is how real thiefs steel your wheels in seconds with locks on.

I've also seen these at Sears and harbor Frieght. If you can't find one... call around to a couple of garages. I'd find it hard to believe that a tire shop doesn't have one. They are the guys that showed me this tool some 16 years ago.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
When I worked in a garage we had a tool for this from snapon. They came in a few sizes. It was basically a socket with a round opening instead of a hex. It had a few teeth inside. Tap that on a little with the BFH then hook up the air gun. Push on the gun as you loosen. They come right off. This is how real thiefs steel your wheels in seconds with locks on.

I've also seen these at Sears and harbor Frieght. If you can't find one... call around to a couple of garages. I'd find it hard to believe that a tire shop doesn't have one. They are the guys that showed me this tool some 16 years ago.
Thanks but my problem is that I live in the sticks and there are only 2 garages here in Town. I'll give them a call on Monday before calling McGard to see if they have a tool like that on hand. I'm done with these locking lugs after this ordeal!!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:40 AM
JK Super Freak

Home - Wheel Lock Keys

This isn't the same as the one we had but it looks like it would work.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought this when it happened to me..

craftsman "Lug-out"

www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947392000P

Worked great....

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 11-09-2008 at 03:17 AM. Reason: removed hyperlink
Old 11-08-2008, 02:46 PM
JK Super Freak

I knew I saw a set of those at sears.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I saw this post early this morning and was not interested. Low and behold when I go to put my daystar leveling kit on The key strips and screws up the inside of the lock. Being here in korea it is going to be a pain!!!! What a shitty product.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gt4660
I saw this post early this morning and was not interested. Low and behold when I go to put my daystar leveling kit on The key strips and screws up the inside of the lock. Being here in korea it is going to be a pain!!!! What a shitty product.

See ...you weren't interested in my problem and Karma bit you in the a$$. Just kidding, I feel your pain!!

Quick Reply: Need help broken lug key