Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need help broken lug key

Old 11-07-2008, 02:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help broken lug key

So I finished putting on my lift today and when I put my wheels back on, my key for my locking lugs broke. Problem is I have my new tires coming in a few days and need these lugs off.

They're McGard lugs that are smooth on the round as the key engages inside the lug. I have the security code to order a new key but that'll take weeks to get and I don't want to wait that long. What am I going to do??? Any suggestions are welcome. I thought of having a buddy weld an old lug on top of each locking lug to facitlitate getting them off.

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2008, 03:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Good luck with this. I a similar thing happen several years ago with McGard lugs and I could not find anyone that could help me. I had to wait on the new key. Have you tried to contact
McGard and see if there is anyway to expedite the key?
Old 11-07-2008, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here ya go. Grind both sides of the round part to acheive a partially flat surface. Then take a large pair of vice grips and put everything you got into it. It will come undone, I've done it before.
Good luck.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never done it, but if you don't mind damaging your locks, try hammering on a slightly smaller socket with a BFH and carefully turning it with a breaker bar. I have also seen a product in the auto stores called an "emergency lug nut socket" that has teeth that might grab onto the lock. Just my thoughts, no experience.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:03 PM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem on an older set of locking lugs. I used the socket method, hammering it on, then using a breaker bar to loosen it. This is what I was told at the tire shop when I went to them with my problem. It worked like a champ. Good luck!
Old 11-07-2008, 04:07 PM
JK Freak

Have you tried one of those gator grip sockets? I'm not sure if you can get one big enough for a lug. That being said, vise grips or a big set of channel locks is probably your best bet.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Since you are most likely going to damage it any way, I would just weld a nut on to them and be done with it.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by walker
I have never done it, but if you don't mind damaging your locks, try hammering on a slightly smaller socket with a BFH and carefully turning it with a breaker bar. I have also seen a product in the auto stores called an "emergency lug nut socket" that has teeth that might grab onto the lock. Just my thoughts, no experience.
Ding Ding Ding.....Winner

Done this and it works great....you can pick up a socket at Pepboys made for this....works great but is a biatch getting the old one out so you can do the other 3.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have had to do this before also. The method I used worked but it will ruin the lug nuts. I took a fairly sharp metal chisel/punch and put it at an angle and then hit it with a BFH until it broke loose. It works but the only downside is if you miss or slip it can put some scratches on your wheel. Hope you get them off.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by royfly1
I had the same problem on an older set of locking lugs. I used the socket method, hammering it on, then using a breaker bar to loosen it. This is what I was told at the tire shop when I went to them with my problem. It worked like a champ. Good luck!
I guess it's safe to say that if I do this my socket is toast? I only ask because I'll have to do four.

Quick Reply: Need help broken lug key