Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Help: Axle Shaft Hitting Knuckle

Old 08-23-2020, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help: Axle Shaft Hitting Knuckle

I'm in the process of swapping in a Tera44. Got the axle shafts in and starting bolting up the passenger side hub when I realized the stub shaft yoke will not clear the knuckle. At this point everything is tight- hub is fully seated, ball joint studs torqued, and I started tightening the axle nut- still touching. There seems to be more room at the top of the opening in the knuckle than the bottom. The shaft seems to be fully engaged into the carrier and is as close to the Teraflex tube seal as it can get. I can't seem to figure this out.

The rust color on the axle yoke is the paint rubbed off from the knuckle where it's touching (stock D30 knuckles just painted orange). I'm using Teraflex axles shafts designed for the Tera44. I've never done this before so I'm not sure if I'm making a noob mistake.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2020, 05:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Grind a little off the axle shafts until there's no more rubbing. I remember with my stock old shafts and the first generation of Teraflex balljoints, I had to grind a little bit off of the ears. We're talking thousands of an inch. Not enough to make a difference in terms of strength.

Give them a call, but I'm willing to bet that's what they'll tell you to do.
Old 08-24-2020, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

I emailed Teraflex and they say sometimes there are clearance issues with the bolts attaching the knuckle to the hub. They recommend to torque down everything with the shaft moved to the side and grind down where the bolts stick out. But I don't see how you can do this even with a dremel- there's not enough room. Any ideas?
Old 08-25-2020, 05:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Pull the axle shaft. You don't need to fully remove it, but slide it out a bit so you can get an angle grinder to them.

Remove the tire. Remove the 2 21mm caliper mounting bolts. Remove the rotor. Remove the 3 13mm unit bearing bolts. Use an allen key to remove the wheel speed sensor and move it out of the way. Use a mallet or sledge to slightly tap the unit bearing side to side to break the shaft free.

Old 08-25-2020, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

I was able to grind just enough off the bolts for the shaft to clear. That thing is tight but now spins freely. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Need Help: Axle Shaft Hitting Knuckle