Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Guidance on 2012 Rubicon 2.5" Budget Boost

Old 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need Guidance on 2012 Rubicon 2.5" Budget Boost

After all the searching i have done i am still needing some guidance. My rubicon is 85% daily driver, 15% off road and i have heard that the rubicon shocks and spring are very good and i dont see the need to change good parts if not necessary. I have been looking at two different set ups for 2.5" buget boosts, one being the Rough Country and the other being the Teraflex. Those of you that have put them on your rubicons what are the pros and cons and how do you like them. Your comments will help me decide if the budget boost will fit my needs in the future which are to add 35" tires on my stock rims with 1.5 wheel spacers. If anyone has this set up photos would be nice. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Tera flex and just waiting on rims and tires. Going 35" and tire place said no need for spacers. Said if you don't need them don't use them
Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RonFDNY77
I have the Tera flex and just waiting on rims and tires. Going 35" and tire place said no need for spacers. Said if you don't need them don't use them
I have a really tough time believing you don't need spacers with a 315 series tire or a true 35" tire and the factory wheels.

If you're going with aftermarket wheels, that's different, as the backspacing is likely different to compensate for the larger tire. But factory wheels need spacers with a 35.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had my rough country Series II 3.5" put on and I think it drives better than stock. I was worried because some people said that the steering gets flighty after a rough country lift but I just dont see it. I think that the LCA's that came with the kit kept the geometry stock so no need for drop down brackets and cam bolts and other crap.
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A 12.50 wide tire on the factory wheel will rub and prevent full lock to lock turning. So spacers are a smart answer.

A budget boost is pretty much the same regardless of brand. The only benefits are what is included with the kit - shocks for example, or shock extenstions, or brake line relocation brackets and other stuff. There are very basic budget boost kits with no shocks for under $100. If you are 85% daily driver, it may make sense for you to get the blocks plus simple shock extensions. Again, any kit will be fine for what you describe. It all depends on your budget!
JK Enthusiast

That was with the rugged ridge rims. Back spacing is 4 9/16" with a 12mm offset. Maybe that's why
Old 02-07-2013, 02:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I just had my rough country Series II 3.5" put on and I think it drives better than stock. I was worried because some people said that the steering gets flighty after a rough country lift but I just dont see it. I think that the LCA's that came with the kit kept the geometry stock so no need for drop down brackets and cam bolts and other crap.
That's great news! Glad to hear another modification success!
Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

TF 2.5" coil kit with 5100's. do your self a favor and just do it right. BB are ok and shock adapters are ok, but for a DD.

I installed an AEV 2.5" coil kit with 5100's, JKS, NR bolt kit, Tracbar and stabilizer. It rides better than stock.

You will need spacers for sure or you will hit the rear sway bar links after the TF lift kit is installed. Also to do 35's.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jk_sea
I have a really tough time believing you don't need spacers with a 315 series tire or a true 35" tire and the factory wheels.

If you're going with aftermarket wheels, that's different, as the backspacing is likely different to compensate for the larger tire. But factory wheels need spacers with a 35.
Remember that it's not the heigth thats the problem, it's your tire width. Now, under flex the height will come in to play, so really you need to address both.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks so far the comments, but I'm getting more advice on wheels spacers that I didn't ask for. Any other experience on these budget boosts.

Quick Reply: Need Guidance on 2012 Rubicon 2.5" Budget Boost