Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Front Shaft

Old 05-31-2012, 05:49 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hollidizzle
I have an 2012 Rubicon, 8" lift running 37's. Obviously my time bomb stock driveshaft was looking to fail....and it's spitting grease everywhere now. Time to fix it. I do moderate wheeling and I think the 1310's would be fine but I have the cash to get the 1350's. Any recommendations? I've used Tom Woods I the past with great success. I see you guys recommending Coast and JE reel all the time (sponsors maybe). I am brand neutral so just looking for some advice on what to get. I have adjustable uppers and lowers so I can set the angles however I need to. Is it a bolt on install? Any help would be appreciated
wow, i can't believe you really have 8" of lift just for 37's, on a 2012 and this is the first time you've had to deal with your drive shaft. well, for what you have and are doing, 1350's are what you want. for the most part, so long as it's balanced well, a driveshaft is a driveshaft with the difference being in the components used. guys like me recommend reel or coast because they use high quality spicer and neapco u-joints standard with their shafts and tom woods doesn't. of course, you don't have to take my advice - afterall, it's your jeep and you're free to use whatever parts you want on it.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has anyone tried 4WD or ProComp drivehshafts?

There are a ton of threads on Reel, Coast, and Woods but there are cheaper options and not everyone has trouble busting u-joints so for people on a budget??
Old 05-31-2012, 10:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife

wow, i can't believe you really have 8" of lift just for 37's, on a 2012 and this is the first time you've had to deal with your drive shaft. well, for what you have and are doing, 1350's are what you want. for the most part, so long as it's balanced well, a driveshaft is a driveshaft with the difference being in the components used. guys like me recommend reel or coast because they use high quality spicer and neapco u-joints standard with their shafts and tom woods doesn't. of course, you don't have to take my advice - afterall, it's your jeep and you're free to use whatever parts you want on it.
I respect everyone's advice here. If I knew the answers I wouldn't be asking. I talked to Dave at NR and he recommended a 2011 shaft (1310) due to the length.

I only have 4k miles on it and I didn't really do anything crazy because of that shaft. I got up the money any decided to replace. Dave said it should be here in a couple of weeks. Is there any reason why I wouldn't take the broken shaft out and just run without one until the Coast comes in?
Old 05-31-2012, 10:12 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I respect everyone's advice here. If I knew the answers I wouldn't be asking. I talked to Dave at NR and he recommended a 2011 shaft (1310) due to the length.

I only have 4k miles on it and I didn't really do anything crazy because of that shaft. I got up the money any decided to replace. Dave said it should be here in a couple of weeks. Is there any reason why I wouldn't take the broken shaft out and just run without one until the Coast comes in?
asssuming you are referring to your front shaft, you can pull it without any problems.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife

asssuming you are referring to your front shaft, you can pull it without any problems.
That's what I figured. Thanks WOL and everyone else
Old 05-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Former Member

Honestly Brand doesn't matter a whole lot, most will use Neapco and Spicer parts in the shafts, its the quailty of how they use them, and if they stand behind there products. If its not going to be Off-road a lot or doing a lot of rock crawling 1310 shafts will be just fine. I have ran JE Reel in everything I have wheeled, and they held up great, to even my flat out abuse sometimes.

Also if its just the front right now, you might as well replace the rear too, it won't be long for it either.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Cool

Was it a pretty easy install?
You'll need a puller to remove both stock yokes as they do not just "slide" off, other than that pretty cake walk. Note you may run into a pinion angle/vibration/ castor problem with the double cardan style driveshaft & 8" of lift Stock CV joints do not have this problem but they can't run high angles either
Old 05-31-2012, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hopefully it won't be too bad. I have a slight vibe at 65-70 now. Other than that it's really smooth. I have the adjustable arms to fine tune if I have to. Not sure how to do it but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well I got the front shaft out. A long extension and an impact gun makes short work. Easy project.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:09 AM
JK Freak

It's fun...just a lot of little issues that come with it. I already have the exhaust modified for the angle...just need the shafts to match now
Pretty sick looking... What lift did you install to give you 8"?

Quick Reply: Need Front Shaft