Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need a front drive shaft

Old 04-10-2008, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a front drive shaft

So I tore my boot today. What type are people running? What price am I looking at? How long can I drive it with the tore one? It tore right off and half of it is gone. Will this solve the problem for good on my auto?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:40 PM
JK Freak

checkout northridge4x4.com ............ they have some J E Reel ones.

This is the one that I am personally going to go with when the time comes to get mine.

Im not 100% sure on this but I think it will fix your DS problems..... might have to replace both the front and the rear though. Adjustable upper and lower control arms will allow you to adjust the pinion angles(so you dont get no vibrations in the ds) is also something to consider with the new ds purchase.

I am not sure how hard it would be to install these? ...maybe some one else will chime in

Last edited by derekls; 04-10-2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ive got ajustable control arms. My problem was tearing the boot on the front skid plate. With a different DS does it still contact with metal to metal? I want to fix it for good. I was out wheeling and flexing al lot. That is what tore it up. I think. I really cant ajust the front pinion angle as I need to keep my castor angle in line.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:34 PM
JK Freak

After hearing it was your skid plate, you mind want to do tests on an rti ramp or something and find the point of impact and notch it out ... would be the easy fix.......... drive shafts would help to i think

Ive got the rockhard skid and im not sure yet if ill be doing any notching to keep it from killing my ds boot
Old 04-10-2008, 07:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure the DS not only rubs on the skid, but also the trans pan, which really can't be notched.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:50 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the bolt on the drshft boot clamp contacts the tranny pan. Take it off and use a ziptie for a little more clearence.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Take it off and use a ziptie for a little more clearence.
Half the boot is missing. Guess Im too late.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:02 PM
JK Freak

The stock drive line will hit the side of the trans and the cross member do to its large diameter. Not just the boot hits on the trans but the drive line it self. The boot is to keep out dirt and moisture. Mine has been torn for 5 months. I would have to replace it ever time i went wheeling. Alot of people swear by J.E. REAL. Those are the ones I will be going with after i get my PJ rockers.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:30 PM
JK Freak

this an auto issue?

i have 6 spd

Also I am about to put on the Rock Hard trans skid , will it hit the boot? I just installed the OME 2' lift today
Old 04-11-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Newbie

Default Front Drive Shaft Boot

Originally Posted by derekls
this an auto issue?

i have a 6speed

Also I am about to put on the Rock Hard trans skid , will it hit the boot? I just installed the OME 2' lift today
I too have a 2 dr 6speed, with all rock hard skid plates, 2" Rubicon spacer lift. I often inspect the boot area and front shaft for any signs of contact with the Rock Hard Skid..Everything so far has plenty of clearance...BUT NOT the gas tank skid..Serious issues with that!!

Quick Reply: Need a front drive shaft