Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

need first hand reviews on aftermarket soft tops

Old 07-07-2015, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rear window zipper is ****ed, and no one want to fix that around town, so I'm down to replacing my entire top.. I don't have a bunch of money to throw on that right now, so the cheaper the better, BUT, I still want something that has a minimum of quality. If the majority goes towards bestop with a replace-a-top sailcloth, then that's what I'm going to buy. I know I wouldn't be disapointed with this one, but its still a little too much for my current budget. I have been searching for reviews for a couple brands, like Rugged ridge Rugged Ridge 13737.01 Sailcloth Soft Top, Black Diamond, 10-15 Jeep 2-Door Wrangler Rough country Rough Country Replacement Soft Top for 10-15 Jeep JK Wrangler (2-door) | Rough Country Suspension Systems® and smittybilt Replacement Soft Tops - Smittybilt I want a factory style soft top, no frameless, trektop like tops. From what I have read, some people liked their top and some didn't. As its based on personal experience, I want to ear from guys who had them on their jeep! My criterias are simple, As quiet as possible, as tight as possible (anything in the acceptable range), and tough zippers!!! For the moment, I feel like the RR would be the best in the cheapest.. Another option I have is a 2008 factory top, to fit on my 2012. It comes complete with door surrounds, tinted windows, and seems to be in good shape. The only down side is that it is khaki, would look funny on my red jk.. but could have it for 300$.

Last edited by k0260; 07-13-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As the saying goes..."you get what you pay for". In the case of a soft top you really don't want to cheap out. Cheap tops mean thin material, poor fitting, cloudy windows and 2nd quality zippers.

All of those brands are made overseas but Bestop by far has the best reputation....Bestop is also Jeep OEM supplier of soft tops.

If you want to save some money have you considered buying a used top or a new take off? Forums, Craigslist, etc are full of them.

Good luck with the search!

Old 07-08-2015, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Agreed, get what you pay for. I've always gone with Bestop over the years. You'd be amazed at how big a difference the top care products actually worl. Zipper lube and top cleaner will make your top last a few extra years. Worth the coin.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bestop is the way to go , and their customer service is awesome.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Why not visit a dry cleaner and have them replace the zipper?
Old 07-09-2015, 04:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bryanwithawhy
Why not visit a dry cleaner and have them replace the zipper?
Or any place that makes/repairs tops for boats. That's where I've gone.
Old 07-09-2015, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

yeah I asked a guy, who's used to repair boat tops and he swear on his life he will never work a jeep top again... I have another place I have to ask before I make the move, But pretty sure its gonna be too expensive for only a repair. I heard a woman have repaired many tops, but she's like at 5 hour drive from me, would be still expensive.

My windows are scratched, I have a "dent" in the material on one side... tried to clean a mud stain too close with a gaz pressure washer annnd, I have clear windows... lol
Old 07-09-2015, 02:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anything but RC or a Smittybilt. I haven't heard ANYTHING good about them. But like everything else in the world, you get what you pay for. Get the best your budget will allow and go from there. Good luck. My rear window zipper can be a PAIN but I try being gentle so I won't be in your position
Old 07-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Cuv
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure of your budget but I do like my TrekTop. Simple, no more framework, and fabric seems plenty tough.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not a fan of trek tops, I like the factory look and also the functionnality. I have a spiderwebshade, so the trek top would be worthless since I already have the bikini.

Quick Reply: need first hand reviews on aftermarket soft tops