Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need an experienced painter opinion - vinyl aerosol paint on my blue Islander seats

Old 11-17-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need an experienced painter opinion - vinyl aerosol paint on my blue Islander seats

I have seat covers over my blue Islander seats but I'd really like to find a permanent solution to the blue other than a full reupholstering. I've done my research and found some bonding paint solutions (SEM) designed for plastics, vinyls, etc. I would THINK that this would work well to tape off and paint over the blue inserts, but I'd like as much info as possible before I try this.

Any thoughts, experience with similar?

Thanks
Greg

Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-jeep-wrangler-islander-seats.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	238165
Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarbleheadGuy
I have seat covers over my blue Islander seats but I'd really like to find a permanent solution to the blue other than a full reupholstering. I've done my research and found some bonding paint solutions (SEM) designed for plastics, vinyls, etc. I would THINK that this would work well to tape off and paint over the blue inserts, but I'd like as much info as possible before I try this.

Thanks
Greg

Attachment 238165
Not that it answers your question, but IMO I think they look good! Why change it? If you dislike it that much tho, why not put an ad on C.L. and try to find somebody else with a JK that wants to swap seats...
Old 11-17-2011, 10:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not a painter either so sorry for the thread tease....but I would recommend saving your $$ and getting some wet okles or something if you dont like the colors. you will just kill your resale probably and also if your top is off often enough I would think painting the seats would make the color fade something fierce and have to be redone. $400 would get you some sweet waterproof Okles with whatever color combo you wanted.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:57 AM
JK Junkie

I would trade you seats in a heartbeat. Too bad you're so far away.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tslewisz
I would trade you seats in a heartbeat. Too bad you're so far away.
8 hours if you meet halfway
Old 11-17-2011, 11:23 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks
Greg

Attachment 238165
Just a suggestion. I was researching leather seat options for my rig. I stumbled accross a site that sells new skins for our seats in a DIY kit. The leather option was fairly expensive. But the vinyl option was fairly reasonable. Sorry I don't remember the site. But I'm sure that it is still out there.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:37 AM
JK Freak

Thanks
Greg

Attachment 238165

I own an industrial coatings company and our expertise is in specialty coatings. I have seen some AMAZING products that do amazing things, but I would never put a coating over a soft surface life that. Granted, I have not seen this product before, but I still would not do it. To many things to worry about. Think about how much your seat moves, bends, and confirms to your body as you get in and out, traverse rough terrain, make sharp turns, etc. The coating "could" (more like "will") crack, separate, fade, chalk, chip, or wrinkle, or maybe all of the above, leading to a horrible mess.

More importantly, lets not forget the most important fact....false advertisement. The industrial and marine divisions of the largest companies in the coating industry make promises on products that are never met, much less some small independent.

There are so many other problems that could arise. I could give you scenarios for days!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GaMtnJk
I own an industrial coatings company and our expertise is in specialty coatings. I have seen some AMAZING products that do amazing things, but I would never put a coating over a soft surface life that. Granted, I have not seen this product before, but I still would not do it. To many things to worry about. Think about how much your seat moves, bends, and confirms to your body as you get in and out, traverse rough terrain, make sharp turns, etc. The coating "could" (more like "will") crack, separate, fade, chalk, chip, or wrinkle, or maybe all of the above, leading to a horrible mess.

More importantly, lets not forget the most important fact....false advertisement. The industrial and marine divisions of the largest companies in the coating industry make promises on products that are never met, much less some small independent.

There are so many other problems that could arise. I could give you scenarios for days!
Thanks very much - I suspected much of what you mentioned...
Old 11-17-2011, 12:01 PM
JK Freak

Start a wanted to trade thread. I am def sure some one would trade for these. or try craigslist.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Red08JK
I am not a painter either so sorry for the thread tease....but I would recommend saving your $$ and getting some wet okles or something if you dont like the colors. you will just kill your resale probably and also if your top is off often enough I would think painting the seats would make the color fade something fierce and have to be redone. $400 would get you some sweet waterproof Okles with whatever color combo you wanted.
I really just don't like seat covers. They never look good to me and I have the expensive ass Mopar Jeep covers. I think I'll just have to get the vinyl as someone else mentioned. Or find someone to trade with...

Quick Reply: Need an experienced painter opinion - vinyl aerosol paint on my blue Islander seats