Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need a couple extra heads. Got a clunk sound.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a couple extra heads. Got a clunk sound.

I have a clunk in the front end and I thought I would get some opinions as to what it might be.

First I'll start by saying that I am familiar with the issues of the track bar and other bolt/bushings in the front suspension/steering. I looked but have not noticed any movement with any bar or bushing (yet).

2011 2dr, 2" budget lift, Manual Trans, with 16,000 miles.

When starting out in foreword or reverse and hit the break (for example backing out of a parking space) I hear a Clunk from the front Drivers side. I can easily re-create the clunk by turning the wheel to one side, start to pull foreword then hit the break. I can re-create it doing the same in reverse. With the tires straight it doesn't seem to do it. I have only noticed it when in parking lots. It has never done it while driving around town that I have noticed.

I am thinking due to the wheels needing to be turned it might have something to do with side to side movement. For example, the track bar bushing/bolt moves and clunks but only when a considerate amount of force is supplied (the weight of the jeep stopping in a sharp turn either in foreword or reverse). So when I check with someone turning the wheel back and forth while parked I wouldn't be able to notice it (yet). I want to try and diagnose before I take it to the dealer for the warranty work. If I know what exactly is wrong, I will be less likely to get the "we couldn't recreate it" scenario.

Does my reasoning sound plausible? What are your opinions?
Old 06-23-2013, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum. check your break caliper you may have lost a bolt. good luck
Old 06-23-2013, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if this is the same clunk as l had but try checking your steering shaft. Check the spot where the shaft exits the firewall...the bolt holding my intermediate shaft was loose and every time l hit any kind of small bump or turned the wheel you could hear it and also feel it. lt was driving me nuts til someone on here also suggested that l give that area a look. Hope this helps out. l had also thought that it was coming from the front end some where and was checking bolt tightness like a madman.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

My ranger had a similar issue. When I would make a hard turn the passenger front would give a thump sound, and felt like going over a small bump. Turned out I had a worn out hub assembly. Mine was pretty far gone. If you jack up your the corner of your vehicle that's making the noise. Try and move the wheel/tire assembly by placing a hand at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions, and then push back and forth. If you have movement you have issues.

You also could have ball joint issues. Jack up the vehicle and use a pry bar between the knuckle and the lower C to see if your ball joint moves.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing to check, I had a clunk noise when making slow sharp turns, pulling into parking space for example. Ended up being a loose lower control arm. Couldn't feel the movement by hand, need to use wrench/ratchet etc to check.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will look at the brake caliper more closely. I had thought of that but only watched through the wheel to see if it moved while my wife was moving the jeep back and forth hitting the break.

I will also check the intermediate shaft for a loose bolt. I had checked the shaft and the firewall to make sure all was well but never checked for loose bolts. Although I don't hear it going over bumps. Still worth a check.

I did check the hub and all felt tight. Thanks for the suggestion though!

I did check the control arms but NOT with a wrench so I'll check that as well!

I'll try to check them all tomorrow and post my results.

Last edited by crzyamerican; 06-23-2013 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think it's your lower control arm. Crank that bad boy down. I would put money on it.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sparkplug
I think it's your lower control arm. Crank that bad boy down. I would put money on it.
I'm leaning towards that as well. I'll post my results.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Okay I checked the Caliper Bolts and there were there and tight. I checked the Intermediate for loose bolt. It was good. I checked the Lower Control Arm. I was able to turn in maybe a 1/4. I checked the Track Bar bolts. I was able to turn the frame side maybe a 1/4 turn.

I haven't had a chance to check for the noise yet but I'll try tonight after work. I'm not sure that the small amount I was able to tighten them will make a difference but we will see.

Quick Reply: Need a couple extra heads. Got a clunk sound.