Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

need to choose new gears

Old 03-15-2011, 12:37 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you guys recommend for a rubicon with 35inch tires?
Old 03-15-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Wendy1884
What do you guys recommend for a rubicon with 35inch tires?
I like 5:38's for the reasons why planman states in this thread

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-vs-5.13/page4
Old 03-15-2011, 08:39 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by svx93
i was thinking more along the lines of ordering gears and having the dealership install them cuz im in th middle of no where Off Road Evolution is 2hrs 30 min away from me other wise i would be on that. palm spring area is as far as im trying to go.
Have you had a quote from the dealer yet? It most likely be cheaper to drive to Off Road Evolution.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

x2 what enclocal said....5.38 all the way...
Old 03-15-2011, 11:04 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

This subject gets beaten to death at least a few times a week. Start looking through the other several thousand threads asking the same thing, and what you will find is that:

You will get people with manuals giving gearing advice to people with auto's.
People with auto's giving gearing advice to people with manuals.
And neither will understand that the transmissions are different enough that their opinions are incorrect.

You will get people giving recommendations based on their 'old' jeep, or their truck, or the car they take to the track, or some dude they talked to. JK's have different engines. JK's have different transmissions. JK's have different gearing needs than ANY of those other vehicles.

You will get a LOT of guys saying that you will have 'screaming' high rpm's if you go to 5.13/5.38 on your auto!!! Just plug the numbers into the chart in the faq's. It is accurate! You will see that when you get over a 33" tire or so, there is no such thing as overgearing an auto.

Read enough of those other gearing threads, and you will find a ton of Auto guys that went with 4.88, and wish they had gone 5.13. Or guys that went 5.13, and wish they had a rubicon so they could have gone 5.38.
What you won't find are guys with 5.13/5.38 that wish they had gone 4.88 instead. (I think I have seen two. And one had a hemi, so he didn't count!)

So, take your advice from guys that have JK's, that have auto's, and that have already made this swap.

Paying that much to under-gear will really piss you off...
Old 03-15-2011, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the advice... I'll search some more on gearing
Old 03-16-2011, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gear Ratio Chart.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	138598

this is posted elsewhere in the forum but I found it helpful when choosing my gears. I have a manual and chose 4.88. I won't try to tell you what you should do with your auto because i don't have one. However, in the thousands of threads I've read, the majority seem to go with 5.13s unless a)Rubicons or b)live in an area that is higher elevation, hills and/or you plan to regularly tow something. Personally, after doing the research, I would choose 5.13 because I have a daily driver that I rarely tow with and live in a low elevation part of the country. Listen to the other auto drivers and follow the chart and the decision becomes pretty easy. good luck.
Old 03-24-2011, 07:54 PM
JK Super Freak

thank you to everyone that has put their 2cents in and gave me all the information i needed to make a educated choice. so in the end result ill be going with the 5.13. i got the super chip and yet i still think the preformace is slugish. and i think off road evo. will have my jeep for 2 days to do the job. i hate the fact that they have a 2 day turn around
Old 03-24-2011, 10:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by svx93
off road evo. will have my jeep for 2 days to do the job. i hate the fact that they have a 2 day turn around
2 days is much better than a quick, half-assed install.

I had one of those nightmare installs you hear about, so I wouldn't think twice about dropping it off for 2 days at a quality shop like ORE.

Quick Reply: need to choose new gears