Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need build help advice ASAP Dad's Birthday Present

Old 02-26-2013, 07:05 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need build help advice ASAP Dad's Birthday Present

My Dad always had a few CJ-7s when I was growing up and he rolled one when I was 9 and Mom said no more wranglers until I moved out. Well I'm now out and been on my own for quite awhile and this year is Dad's 50th so Mom's plan is to surprise him with a JK for his birthday. We've been looking for over 6 months and can't find just the right one so now the decision has come down me and my buddy that I work with are going to build one but we have a month. We've built quite a few different rigs and everything has gone smoothly but this time I don't have the time to shake it down to find the problems and also if I put a scratch on this JK my mom would SHOOT me so here is the question.
I've got $4,000 to put into this 2009 2 Door JK with 33,xxx miles. I want to go 4" and 35s. Just something nice but not anything huge. It will not get wheeled more than taking it down dirt roads and the occasional trip through the ditch, so there is no need for an amazing performance high dollar lift.
I need to know what lift, the little knick knacks that go along in getting a vehicle right after a lift, and what offset and backspacing and width of wheels you guys think. It'll probably get some KM2's Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:25 AM
JK Freak

If this will not be wheeled hard then get a budget boost and flat flares. This will be much less expensive an fast to install. Your 4k budget would barely cover the 4" coil lift with all the extras like arms and drive shafts that would be required. Many guys actually just put Unlimited Rubi coils in 2 doors and clear 35's with flat fenders well.

Also 5 rims and tires will run you about $3k alone.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With that kind of budget I'd go with a 2.5" rough country suspension lift, 1.25" rough country body lift. The 2.5" lift will more than clear the 35" tires, the body lift will give you a little extra. By only going 2.5" suspension lift you don't have to change a bunch of stuff out, & still keep a fairly stock ride. That's what I went with
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2810146261.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	427090   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-54272744.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	427091  
Old 02-26-2013, 08:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

2.5 inch coil lift will clear 35's, Ive run teraflex with no complaints on both my rigs. Lots of people running rockkrawler lift too. You probably can find some good deals in the for sale section. you can keep the stock rims and just run spacer. biggest concern is gonna be gearing, gonna lose some power pushing 35's. You can find some good deals stuff on the forum, just have to do some searching. Best of luck
Old 02-26-2013, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DJCFHB
2.5 inch coil lift will clear 35's, Ive run teraflex with no complaints on both my rigs. Lots of people running rockkrawler lift too. You probably can find some good deals in the for sale section. you can keep the stock rims and just run spacer. biggest concern is gonna be gearing, gonna lose some power pushing 35's. You can find some good deals stuff on the forum, just have to do some searching. Best of luck
I agree with DJCFHB. Get a 2.5 inch coil lift and some 35s and some wheel spacers (if you are going to use the stock wheels) he'll be good to go. If you go over 2.5 inch lift then you run into a bunch of other things you have to swap out. Good luck!
Old 02-26-2013, 08:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Teraflex makes spacers witch is about 2.5 and its only 350 or something like that then you can cut your stock fenders and you would be good also if using stock wheels you would need wheel spacers but you have 4 grand so you can get different wheels or even a new bumper and winch!

Discount tire is a vendor here you can get am awesome deal! Also talk to Northridge 4x4 for the lift best prices and free shipping on orders 100 or more
Old 02-26-2013, 09:04 AM
JK Freak

I agree with the 2.5 as well. I wouldnt worry about gearing right now though. I run a 3.5" Rock Krawler lift with 35's and its barely noticeable. I do, as mentioned run 1.5" SpiderTrax wheel spacers for my stock wheels. The only rub Ive ever had was on the rear bumper, but I stuffed it so it was going to rub anyway.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:06 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Jeek.OlllllllO
Teraflex makes spacers witch is about 2.5 and its only 350 or something like that then you can cut your stock fenders and you would be good also if using stock wheels you would need wheel spacers but you have 4 grand so you can get different wheels or even a new bumper and winch!

Discount tire is a vendor here you can get am awesome deal! Also talk to Northridge 4x4 for the lift best prices and free shipping on orders 100 or more
NR4x4 for sure. Amazing deals..
Old 02-26-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

I'd go with the TF 2.5" BB $350 and some 33/34" (295/70/17) tires with 4.5" back space on the wheels $3000. You don't want too big on tires/lift or you'll be looking at new gears/driveshafts $$$$, plus the 2009 3.8 is somewhat sluggish already. I'd upgrade the shocks to Rubicon take-offs $200, it will smooth out the ride for the old man. Don't forget a Procal too $150. Good luck!

Last edited by Tripletsi; 02-26-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what I would do if I wanted to get my pops a lift and 35s. I would get the rough country 3.25" lift along with 315/70R17 falken wild peaks x5 tires mounted on the stock wheels that will costyou around $1600. Now you can buy him something else for the Jeep that he will like. http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_jk_3.html http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...w=false&cs=315

Quick Reply: Need build help advice ASAP Dad's Birthday Present