Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Answers about Busted Drive Shaft

Old 12-14-2008, 06:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Answers about Busted Drive Shaft

Alright I just got my jeep a few days ago after being lifted. The pinion angle was set wrong and was getting severe vibrations, the shop that did the work said it would be fine to drive until my gears came in. Well it wasn't it was a Rubicon Express Rear drive shaft. So I was pulling out of a safeway trying to take a left turn and SNAP . . . Thunk . . .Thunk . . . Thunk. Shift into 4wd and make it back off the road and pick up the pieces and it was the U-Joint closest to the T-Case that blew apart and spit the top half of my drive shaft in the middle of the road.

So what do I do. Was it the shops fault for setting the pinion angle wrong? Was it a defect? Or is that my 3.21 gears have too much torque for the 37" meats?

Please let me know b4 I have to talk to the shop tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:14 PM
JK Newbie

Oyeah. I put about 50miles on my jeep since I got it from the shop
Old 12-14-2008, 06:22 PM
JK Freak

3.21's with a 37" tire would make your ratio even lower and you would have even less torque.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the shop's fault. That angle had to be horrible and it shouldn't have gotten to you in that condition.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:00 PM
JK Junkie

3.21's with 37's... wow. Thats a high ratio. It would require roughly twice the power to move in comparison to stock. That will put a lot more stress on the driveshaft. However, having a bad angle like that where its on the verge of binding is going to make things much worse. So while it was most likely caused because of the two things together, it would not have happened if the pinion angle was properly set.

I am curious as to why they didn't set it? Changing your gears has nothing to do with pinion angle.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:33 PM
JK Newbie

They said it was wrong when they gave it to me, but said since they were going to be doing the gears anyway they would just adjust it then. I'd hate to say they got lazy, but I wish they would have just did it when they did the lift.

So I am trying to figure out if they are going to try and shaft me, and say its my fault. Or is it on them? I really don't wanna have to pay for it. Getting pretty broke.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:40 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you just popped a u-joint, I'd say just give me another joint, If you twisted the splines, shitty driveshaft, they need to replace it. Where you poppin the clutch or gettin on it real heavy, with 3.21's your askin to snap a joint if you get on it hard.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:42 PM
JK Junkie

I see no reason why it should be on you. You were not off road, and just a handful of miles since you got it back (well, I am assuming its just a handful of miles).
Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jbuck
Alright I just got my jeep a few days ago after being lifted. The pinion angle was set wrong and was getting severe vibrations, the shop that did the work said it would be fine to drive until my gears came in. Well it wasn't it was a Rubicon Express Rear drive shaft. So I was pulling out of a safeway trying to take a left turn and SNAP . . . Thunk . . .Thunk . . . Thunk. Shift into 4wd and make it back off the road and pick up the pieces and it was the U-Joint closest to the T-Case that blew apart and spit the top half of my drive shaft in the middle of the road.

So what do I do. Was it the shops fault for setting the pinion angle wrong? Was it a defect? Or is that my 3.21 gears have too much torque for the 37" meats?

Please let me know b4 I have to talk to the shop tomorrow.
that is absolutely ridiculous. unless they weren't able to adjust the upper links long enough to set your pinion to be in line with the driveshaft (which is possible), this would totally be your shops fault. your gears or tire size would have nothing to do with your shaft breaking.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:57 AM
JK Newbie

agreed. shops fault. im running 6.5 inches of lift, 4.10's and 37's and rail my RE driveshafts. and have been for about 7,000 miles now. no problems!

Quick Reply: Need Answers about Busted Drive Shaft