Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Wich Winch?
WARN VR10000 with Synthetic Line
64.71%
Smittybilt X20 10 Comp series with Synthetic Line
35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Need advice: WARN VR10k vs. Smittybilt X20 10k

Old 02-17-2012, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice: WARN VR10k vs. Smittybilt X20 10k

Hey guys, I need a little winch advice, and I don't want to start a WARN is king thread, just need first hand advice on these winches.

The WARN has the name, but I'm worried about buying any model considered to be "entry level" like the VR series.
The Smitty X20 has the bonus of being waterproof. I will be getting the synthetic line on either choice.

Synthetic versions: The WARN would be around 829, and the Smitty is 649, a 200 difference in price.
It seems the choice is between the bottom product of the top brand, or the top product of a cheaper brand.

I really don't want to spend more than 700, and it must be synthetic line and preferably waterproof and at least a 10k lbs rating.
I'm also open to suggestions on other winches.

This is my DD and I would only need this occasionally, but I don't want to waste money on something that "may work once or twice".
Old 02-17-2012, 05:00 AM
JK Newbie

I had a bad experience with Warn in the past. I currently have the Smittybuilt X20 10k and have had zero problems with it. My thoughts are if you wheel a lot, and hard neither are the best choice. But if you only will use it occasionaly go for the Smitty.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by drewstokes80
I had a bad experience with Warn in the past. I currently have the Smittybuilt X20 10k and have had zero problems with it. My thoughts are if you wheel a lot, and hard neither are the best choice. But if you only will use it occasionaly go for the Smitty.
Now I'm the exact opposite. I have had nothing but luck with Warn, and nothing but issues with Smitty. And it does depend on use level. I started with a smittybuilt and it was smokin on the 3rd pull. I went to an entry level Warn I bought used/semi in pieces, and ended up running that for quite some time. I was impressed enough with the Warn that I ended up buying a PowerPlant.

But like with lifts, tires, wheels, and everything else, everyone will have an opinion that is just as valid as the last. Go with what you think will work best for you.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you check the Engo winches from JeepAddOns a sponsor on here.... talk to Chris. Nothing but great reviews and you'll get a 10 000 with synthetic line for under $700
Old 02-17-2012, 05:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I heard the Engos were made by Smittybilt??? Could be wrong here. I know some manufacturers produce several different brand lines.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm leaning towards the WARN, the name carries a lot of weight (no pun intended)
Old 02-17-2012, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Default quadratec

they have new winches out, That being said I have a smittylbuilt which I heard was actually a mile marker but renamed and besides the handle rusting and the solenoid mount being crappy the thing works great , I have always had warns inthe past but he higher end ones, the were great
Old 02-17-2012, 07:46 PM
JK Junkie

I was in the same boat and went Smitty X20 10 K...why... well I have seen Warns blowup on the field which left a bad taste in my mouth, and after considering the price points of both and knowing that the Smitty has a great rep, it was a no brainer....... go full submersible instead of bottom of the barrel Warn. This is my just my experience, I know everyone has their own opinion.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by fadeout
I was in the same boat and went Smitty X20 10 K...why... well I have seen Warns blowup on the field which left a bad taste in my mouth, and after considering the price points of both and knowing that the Smitty has a great rep, it was a no brainer....... go full submersible instead of bottom of the barrel Warn. This is my just my experience, I know everyone has their own opinion.
I agree. I would go with the submersible
Old 02-18-2012, 03:45 AM
JK Newbie

I am happy with the smittybuilt. I have the x20 10lbs and have used it several times and pulled very hard, no issues to date. other than the freewheel is hard to get started sometimes.

Quick Reply: Need advice: WARN VR10k vs. Smittybilt X20 10k