Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need advice re: rubbing

Old 06-01-2012, 07:54 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kanueh, that was the first option they proposed. The crazy part was, they wanted to charge me for the new wheels/tires. I told them they were crazy and that that option was unacceptable.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Just a thought.. the 285/70R18 tires are roughly 33" x 11.5" wide tire. You could possibly get rubbing in the width. Not knowing which wheels you have and what the backspacing is, there is possibility you are getting rubbing from inside and not from the height, or maybe both. Get under your jeep and look inside the tire to see if there are any rub marks. snap a couple of photos and post those as well. if the wheels have standard backspacing you may be able to buy some spacers to push them out and solve it also. The fact that the dealership added a lift kit for free is awesome, so if you still hear it, this could be the culprit also.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:31 AM
JK Newbie

I would be surprised if the dealer took care of this but you can use this for ammunition: The stock Sahara suspension is lower and softer that a Rubi. The Rubi comes with 32s. How can they expect the Sahara not to rub with 33s? OBTW, those look like stock wheels at lest they don't look like they have smaller offsets than stock which would help with the rubbing.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Randog
I would be surprised if the dealer took care of this but you can use this for ammunition: The stock Sahara suspension is lower and softer that a Rubi. The Rubi comes with 32s. How can they expect the Sahara not to rub with 33s? OBTW, those look like stock wheels at lest they don't look like they have smaller offsets than stock which would help with the rubbing.
I had never heard that Sahara's had springs which make it ride lower, which doesn't make sense to me. if Rubicons rub with 33's, softer springs would mean rubbing at lower heights, right? If this were the case then shouldn't Sahara's rub with 32's? but they come with 32's

I think Sahara vs Rubicon is irrelevant, as 33 x 11.5 would rub on either at full load is my understanding from research on here.. could be wrong..

Quick Reply: Need advice re: rubbing