Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need advice on installing lift.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice on installing lift.

I have a 2013 JKU Rubicon and have a RK 2.5 flex kit with fox shocks, spring clips, exhaust spacer and bump stops inbound.

I found a very reputable shop that will do the install for 450.00 which includes welding rear bracket and alignment. I am trying to figure out if I should do it in my own or have the ship do it. I have all the tools and am mechanically inclined. I have always wrenched on hot rods so this is my first lift.

I was thinking of doing it on my own until I got that bid for the work. The welding and alignment would probably cost me 200.00. I was thinking of doing it on my own to save money and learn about my lift and jeep suspension. But at 450.00 I am thinking It would be best to have the local shop do it. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance Doug.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have busted my knuckles, received stitches, have lasting scars from installing lift kits and doing vehicle repairs on my back in my driveway.

If someone quoted me $400~$450 to install my lift for me including the necessary welding, at this stage in my life, I'd be ALL over it. I *would* however, ask if I could "watch."
Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

I don't think your lift requires any welding so I would save the cash and use it for other things like bumpers, dates withe the better half, or a puppy. I knocked out my full traction lift in about 8 hours. I would buy the north ridge bolt replacement kit or an equivalent. I had less than 600 miles on my jeep and the bolts had already ground in to the stock bushings. Also I would use the lowes/home depot "t" bracket mod on your breaks if you don't have extended break lines. Just my 2 cents and good luck either way you go
Old 02-20-2013, 01:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Who is going to care the most about your Jeep...YOU. Since you have the tools and the know how, do it yourself. You shouldn't need to weld anything and you can do an alignment on the driveway. Have fun wrenching and save some cash for another mod.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

4x4 shops that have a reputation of doing good work and have been around for 20+ years are the ones I would look at. I know when I had my lift put on by the shop in this town they have been doing it for 20+ years. I had another lift put on by them about 7 years ago had no problems what so ever. So when it came time to do my JK I had no worries about taking it to them. Good 4x4 shops want the repeat business and the ones that do crappy work dont stay open for long.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 PM
JK Newbie

I agree with doing it yourself. Check out project-jk's alignment and death wobble write ups for good advice/write ups on some of the finer tuning items to look for/do when you do the lift. I did my own lift, and it was the first one that I have ever done, so it took longer than expected. However, I learned a lot about my Jeep and have the pleasure of knowing that my Jeep is built, not bought.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Zip04
I agree with doing it yourself. Check out project-jk's alignment and death wobble write ups for good advice/write ups on some of the finer tuning items to look for/do when you do the lift. I did my own lift, and it was the first one that I have ever done, so it took longer than expected. However, I learned a lot about my Jeep and have the pleasure of knowing that my Jeep is built, not bought.

Yes, it is built and not bought...If it is your first time, I would say do it yourself...but for $450....I've done enough myself. I'd rather pay.

I think having the knowledge of how it all goes together is VERY important though.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There's "can", and "want to". There's a fine line there, and there really is something to be said for dropping off your Jeep, and picking it up with a lift kit installed.

I faced the same decision with my Jeep....Yeah, I could have installed it...cleared a weekend, invited a friend, paid for pizza and beer, and could have done the whole operation in a small 2-car garage with a light on a rope and the minimum basic tools required.

Those DIY-jobs were a lot more fun at age 18 than they are now at age 30. I don't mind doing basic stuff and some of it is fun, but because of constrained time, I find more value in enjoying my Jeep rather than making a hobby out of working on it.

That said, I'll be installing my own lighting in my Jeep, but that's EASY (and comparatively fun).

For $450, just do it...especially if I think it's the shop you mentioned. Where are you taking it?

For the "built" and "not bought" guys...you do realize that the expensive part of a lift installation is usually the kit itself, and not so much the labor? --and is there really value in doing it IF you can find your way around underneath a Jeep already?

Last edited by jk_sea; 02-20-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input guys. The shop is Northridge 4x4 and they are one of the best in the nation. The rear brackets on the RK lift need to be welded but it's probally a 10 minute job and wouldn't cost much. I wasn't aware I could do the alignment myself. I want to do it to learn about my Jeep but at the same time I don't want to mess anything up or drive myself nuts with adjustments. I could sit in their waiting room and work on my computer and it would pay for the install. I am leaning toward doing it myself but it seams like every project I start It never gets finished in a timely fashion due to a hick up here and there. Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have read too many threads on here about getting the DW after having a lift installed. The great part about getting it done at the 4x4 shop is if you have any problems the tech's there will fix it and usually with no charge at least for the first year.

I'm over 30 as well and have other things to do besides spend a weekend on a lift. Now saying that. I did do my own bumper and winch. I like projects that if I mess up it won't throw me off the road at 70 mph. But drivetrain and suspension I will leave to the pros.

Quick Reply: Need advice on installing lift.