Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Advice - Installation of Full Traction 4" Long Arm on 2010 JK

Old 04-18-2011, 11:21 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need Advice - Installation of Full Traction 4" Long Arm on 2010 JK

My son and I are working our way through installing Full Traction's 4" long arm suspension on his 2010 2-door JK. Everything was going smoothly until we tried to put the exhaust system back in. We tried for most of the day to get it back, but the new driver side upper control arm bracket does not provide enough room for the driver-side catalytic converter to fit back in (passenger side is fine). After banging our heads for a few hours, we finally contacted FT and we were told that starting with the 2010 JK model, you need to cut-out the cat, move it back out of the way of the bracket, then weld it back on.

Note to Full-Traction: You guys may want to add this information to your installation instructions! We bought a bolt-in system because we did not want to weld.

Ok, now that I've had my rant, how have other people handled this challenge? Any experiences with cutting the cat out and welding it back in...? What about a complete replacement system? Would the RIPP headers and cat system work to solve our problem? Thanks in advance!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:29 PM
JK Junkie

Bump: Seriously, nobody...?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

Remove cat and replace with test pipe

But if you care about the environment, I suggest just putting the suspension back together and taking the vehicle to a reputable muffler shop to relocate the cat. No sense in getting a header back system as they are a waste of money, IMHO.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 PM
JK Junkie

That's some good info to know. I wonder if the FT 3" lift kit has the same problem? I'm asking because I was thinking of buying a FT lift.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

dude that sucks! didn't have those issues with the 4" TF kit I purchased....and yeah they should definitely modify the instructions...bump for help cause I'm not sure

Sam
Old 04-18-2011, 07:55 PM
JK Freak

Can you use clamps on the pipe instead of welding?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CALIJK
Ok, now that I've had my rant, how have other people handled this challenge? Any experiences with cutting the cat out and welding it back in...? What about a complete replacement system? Would the RIPP headers and cat system work to solve our problem? Thanks in advance!
Sorry, that your having this problem. Can you cut the exaust Justin front of the cat and then remove the exhaust back to the next slip joint? That way you can install the lift then take it to a muffler shop to weld up the pipe. Last time I talked with Ripp their system isn't CARB compliant.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Sapper12b
That's some good info to know. I wonder if the FT 3" lift kit has the same problem? I'm asking because I was thinking of buying a FT lift.
This is a long arm issue. Not a short arm

To the op, we do need to change the instructions. I'll email you the pictures needed to cut and rotate the exhaust. If the exhaust is removed we can do this in our shop in bakersfield for you.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:25 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by KenB1010
Sorry, that your having this problem. Can you cut the exaust Justin front of the cat and then remove the exhaust back to the next slip joint? That way you can install the lift then take it to a muffler shop to weld up the pipe. Last time I talked with Ripp their system isn't CARB compliant.
Ken, Thanks. I did not know RIPP was not CARB compliant, so I'll let Vince decide if he wants that headache in 5 years when he needs to get his first smog check. The exhaust is already dismantled from the manifolds down past the cats now, so I'm thinking that just taking it to a muffler shop would be the answer.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension
This is a long arm issue. Not a short arm

To the op, we do need to change the instructions. I'll email you the pictures needed to cut and rotate the exhaust. If the exhaust is removed we can do this in our shop in bakersfield for you.
Chris, Thank you. I'll let Vince decide, but if we go with the cut and rotate option, then making the short drive to Bakersfield seems like the best way to ensure this gets done right. If you have guys in the shop this week, I may just bring it up myself, so we can get it done before this weekend.

To be clear, your long arm system is awesome and I've been impressed with the quality of the parts, the fit, and the engineering. Old, grumpy guys like me just get a little frustrated when we can't figure out how to make something work. I will PM you my email address.

Quick Reply: Need Advice - Installation of Full Traction 4" Long Arm on 2010 JK