Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need advice on going BIG.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
I love that tan. Have you looked at 38's? I'll post a pic later of my co-workers Papa Smurf edition with 38's.
I see that Nitto does make the Mud Grappler in 38's. And it is wide. I wonder if I did the 4" long arm with flat fenders and 37/38, it would sit like the red jk.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pingi3

Here is my JK with the 2.5" and 33's. I think the tires are toooo small.
yes, 33s are too small, IMO, with a 2.5" lift. with flat flares and the right bump stops, you can fit 37s on a 2.5" lift, but 3-4" would be better with 37s. personally, if i were you, i would start beefing up the axles and regear while you have the 33s. when the 33s wear out, or your budget is there, move up to either a 4 or 6" lift and 38s or 40s. i dont remember seeing if you have an auto or 6spd, but remember, a 6" lift will require more things to run right than a 4".
Old 02-24-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Super Freak

I see that Nitto does make the Mud Grappler in 38's. And it is wide. I wonder if I did the 4" long arm with flat fenders and 37/38, it would sit like the red jk.
obviously not exactly, but damn close. it would look and drive like a dream too, on and off road. i have the TF 4" short arm lift with only front LCAs and it rides great.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wazooz2424
obviously not exactly, but damn close. it would look and drive like a dream too, on and off road. i have the TF 4" short arm lift with only front LCAs and it rides great.
This tells you how much I know about suspensions. But what us LCA?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I guess I have a lot to study up on but in a nut shell, how does one go about beefing up the axles? Is it bolt on parts or is there welding/cutting involved?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:52 AM
JK Super Freak

This tells you how much I know about suspensions. But what us LCA?
LCA= Lower Control Arm. Its the "bar" you can see attached to axles running from just inside and to the rear of the front wheels back towards the frame, terminating approximately under drivers door and in the rear running from the axles just inside the rear wheels towards the front of the vehicle terminating also up on the frame. Usually has a cool manufacturer name like "Teraflex" or "Rock Krawler" stickered to it!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Junkie

I guess I have a lot to study up on but in a nut shell, how does one go about beefing up the axles? Is it bolt on parts or is there welding/cutting involved?
Suggest you do alot more research before pulling the trigger to buy anything..... lots of us learned the hard way it's best to do it right the first time rather than swapping parts/lifts/tires etc...... We found this out on our Black JK and we paid alot for that lesson......

Nearly 1 1/2 years in the making we decided to start out the right way for our second JK by starting out with a Teraflex 6" Elite LCG setup
Old 02-24-2011, 12:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BKGM Jeepers
Do you get any squeaking/rattling from the Rockhard cage? I'm thinking about picking one up.
BKGM, absolutley no squeaking or rattling from the cage. It is definitely not a "full roll cage", but noticably tightens the vehicle up, maybe I am just imagining it, but the jeep feels stiffer, less body flex, kind of feeling. I have owned several "race" cars that were barely street legal, some had full cages, some more along the lines of a bolt sport cage like this, so I had some experience with cages to compare it to.

I think its a worthy addition to building a serious trail rig that is also a daily driver. Now if you want to talk about "REAL cages", search for the EVO 1 streaming shop thread and look a Offroad EVO's work on their rig called EVO 1 or search for the thread "the official carolina truggies build", those are serious competition cages for a JK.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by UGOTKERN
Suggest you do alot more research before pulling the trigger to buy anything..... lots of us learned the hard way it's best to do it right the first time rather than swapping parts/lifts/tires etc...... We found this out on our Black JK and we paid alot for that lesson......

Nearly 1 1/2 years in the making we decided to start out the right way for our second JK by starting out with a Teraflex 6" Elite LCG setup
x2 pingi3, I think UGOTKERN has summed it up. You are asking all the correct questions a beginner, novice, newbie, whatever....should be asking. The important thing is that you have the balls to ask, where many of us just pull the trigger and learn thru bad experiences. Keep asking the questions brother, just make sure the answers are coming from reputable manufacturers, knowledgeable persons, etc. not just the endless supply of internet offroad ninjas that can't wait to tell you "what you need" .
Old 02-24-2011, 12:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GCM 2
BKGM, absolutley no squeaking or rattling from the cage. It is definitely not a "full roll cage", but noticably tightens the vehicle up, maybe I am just imagining it, but the jeep feels stiffer, less body flex, kind of feeling. I have owned several "race" cars that were barely street legal, some had full cages, some more along the lines of a bolt sport cage like this, so I had some experience with cages to compare it to.

I think its a worthy addition to building a serious trail rig that is also a daily driver. Now if you want to talk about "REAL cages", search for the EVO 1 streaming shop thread and look a Offroad EVO's work on their rig called EVO 1 or search for the thread "the official carolina truggies build", those are serious competition cages for a JK.
Thanks! I run a full cage in my TJ, but am not interested in it for my JKU. I was looking for something that is easier to install than the 20 hours I spent removing my dash for that other cage.

I think I'll get it. could you poast a side photo of the dash spreader? I'd like to run it around a tray I have up there already.

Quick Reply: Need advice on going BIG.