Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need advice on going BIG.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on going BIG.

I recently picked up a 2011 JK in Sahara Tan. I put on Spider Trax spacers and XD Addicts and 325/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers. I just dropped her off to get a Pro Comp suspension lift and 2.0 Fox Shocks. Well I was surfing the forum for the past days and saw a red JK lifted 8.5" and running 40" Nitto Mud Grapplers. I showed the picture to the guys at the shop and they said no sweat to doing the conversion.

My question is for guys who have done this before. Is it a good highway set-up, or let me rephrase that... Is it OK to drive on the highway/city streets? Not worried about gas milage. What all goes into such a build. I figure a 6" long arm lift with a BB. Longer drive shafts. Re-gearing. Do I need a beefier rear axle if I just mud bog and occasional off-road?

Now I open up to the guru's!

Thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 12:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Your biggest worries are going to be your front axle. I would recommend getting dana 60's front and rear or at least a Pro Rock 44 front axle if you dont have a 44 front. Also upgraded axle shafts and be easy on the skinny pedal
Old 02-21-2011, 12:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pingi3
Well I was surfing the forum for the past days and saw a red JK lifted 8.5" and running 40" Nitto Mud Grapplers. I showed the picture to the guys at the shop and they said no sweat to doing the conversion.

My question is for guys who have done this before. Is it a good highway set-up, or let me rephrase that... Is it OK to drive on the highway/city streets?
That red JK is JPTwinz jeep, its now painted the color of a bright green 2010 chevy camaro. I have seen his jeep around town, but bottom line.....yes you can put as much lift as you want and still drive it anywhere you want. You are going to need to think more about just tires and lift. Start thinking about drive shaft/pinion angles, lots of issues begin to happen above 2.5" lifts.

I have a pretty big damn rig sitting on 40" tires, no issues with flex or rub or center of gravity/roll over height (it actually sits lower than you can imagine) but my jeep was built for serious wheeling, long distances offroad. That doesn't sound like what your plans are. Go as tall as you want, just be prepared for spending a lot more money on parts that are going to wear out really fast if you don't get it put together correct. I'll try to keep my tastes out of it, but you know the entire Offroad Kingdom is now moving in the direction of lower, less lift, more flex kind of direction. Just search "lower 40" on the Internet. Good luck though brother, you are only young once
Old 02-21-2011, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

GCM 2... Thanks for the advise. I wish we had long open off-road terrain here in GA. I assume you have miles and miles of it out in AZ. I will look up "lower 40" and see what that is all about. Thanks again.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 PM
JK Super Freak

GCM 2... Thanks for the advise. I wish we had long open off-road terrain here in GA. I assume you have miles and miles of it out in AZ. I will look up "lower 40" and see what that is all about. Thanks again.
No problem brother! I guess what I'm saying is; Anything can be done, but getting done right is the hard part. Again, good luck with the building of your rig, and shoot some photos before, during and after so we can see what you come up with. By the way, here's my set up, highest point of the jeep's roofline is 81" high. You can go big without going tall.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GCM 2
No problem brother! I guess what I'm saying is; Anything can be done, but getting done right is the hard part. Again, good luck with the building of your rig, and shoot some photos before, during and after so we can see what you come up with. By the way, here's my set up, highest point of the jeep's roofline is 81" high. You can go big without going tall.
Holy smoke..... That is the nicest set up so far. Is that the pro comp coil set up with custom King shocks? Please school me. Here is what mine looks like. It is at 4wheelparts getting the pro comp lift. Hopefully I get her back tomorrow.

Old 02-21-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thats a good looking jeep
Old 02-21-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GCM 2
wow, nice setup!! OP, do some reading..40's are huge and depending on a commute it could be rough unless you do it right.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Holy smoke..... That is the nicest set up so far. Is that the pro comp coil set up with custom King shocks? Please school me. Here is what mine looks like. It is at 4wheelparts getting the pro comp lift. Hopefully I get her back tomorrow.

I'm digging that tan jeep!! It will look even more awesome with some more lift, but you have nothing to hide, that is a good looking ride.

Glad you like my ride, all the suspension components are Offroad Evolution, it's called the "Double Throwdown". It's front and rear King Coilovers with another King Triple Bypass shock at each corner too, just check out Offroad Evolution's website, they are a sponsoring vender here on the forum. That shop spits out rigs like mine daily, and many are even more upgraded than mine. I drove my jeep out to them and just left it with them. I know not everyone can just do all the major item upgrades at once, I saved for a long time before dropping major dollars with them. I have had a lot of custom cars and lots of Offroad rigs, some I built, some I purchased turnkey. I was tired of building, and the crew at Offroad EVO are the best with offroad vehicles. You want to turn into a crack addict, just check out the shops Facebook wall photo page daily to see what the guys are building on!
Old 02-21-2011, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Hopefully will have mine close to finished tomorrow!! Just picked up my 41" iroks today!! I went with the 6 la teraflex with adjustable coil spacers! Still alot of work left though! Pic with the stocks on her!
Good luck with your build! Set your budget and add another 50%!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2069776078.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	129821  

Quick Reply: Need advice on going BIG.