Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

need advice..doing minor body work repair

Old 04-21-2010, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advice..doing minor body work repair

Due to a fight with a barb wire fence,i had some deep gouges /scratches in the front of my hood..

i have filled it up with putty and sanded it out to a smooth finish my questions is after i apply the first coat of paint do i go back and sand it out before the second coat if so what girt sand paper?

also when i finish painting and go to put my clear coat on do i need to sand before i put it on ?what grit (1000 is what im thinkin)
Old 04-21-2010, 06:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may be wrong here but here is what I think I did before.

You've already repaired the gouge with putty. I would use some primer on it, then wetsand it with 1000 grit. Paint with touch up paint, then wetsand 2000 grit. Then clear coat it and wetsand 2000 grit again.

After that, use rubbing compound and then polish, then wax.

People have various methods. The best place to look for information is autopia.org which is a car detailer's heaven.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

thanks for the advice
Old 04-22-2010, 07:18 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks for the tip, I have a pretty big nick in my hood as well, I will give the high git wet sanding technique a try.

Quick Reply: need advice..doing minor body work repair