Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

NEED ADVICE on Dana 30 w/ 35's

Old 11-04-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED ADVICE on Dana 30 w/ 35's

OK, so I am currently running 33's on my Unlimited X with 3.73's and stock rims. My budget will allow me to to upgrade to 35's and new rims and possibly take a look at regearing and adding lockers as well. I'm thinking of going with 16 inch American Racing Mojave's and 35" tires.

Is upgrading gears and adding lockers to my Dana 30 front axle like putting lipstick on a pig or should I look at swapping out the front Dana 30 to a Dana 44 with a locker and 4.13's or better?

Is my money better spent by adding better gears and lockers to the current axle setup or should I look at adding a Dana44 to the front and upgrading gears and a locker in the rear to match?

ANY PRODUCTIVE INPUT IS WELCOME!!!
Here's a pic of the current setup

Old 11-04-2009, 07:42 PM
JK Junkie

Looking at doing something similar. In my opinion if you are going to re-gear just add the c2 gussets to re-enforce the dana 30.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Compare the total cost:

Locker, gears, cro-mo shafts, gusset your c's

versus

Nice new D44 with locker and the gears you want

Once you know what the price difference is, then determine if it's worth spending that money on your 30, or if you want a beefier 44 for the extra dollars.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If are even considering running 37's in the future and/or to do hard wheelin, then going with the D44 is worth the extra funds.

If you can find a lower cost D44 and can do the swap yourself, this might be the best way to go.

However, if you are not climbing walls and 35's are as big as you want to go, then the D30 will probably not be the first thing that breaks, and the beauty of it is that you can upgrade it gradually. Try that with any axle swap ...

Just remember, no matter what you do to your driveline, there will always be a weak link. For the sake of your pocketbook, pick this link wisely.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is ALL GREAT advice folks!! Thanks for the replies.

Keep 'em comin'!
Old 11-05-2009, 05:34 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep the 30.. There are a LOT of people on here running 35's on a 30..

Personally, if I were to add a locker, go ARB with Chromoly shafts, do some c-gussets and weld on lower control arm skids. call it done.
What gears do you have right now? you sure you need 5.13's? do the tires first and see how you like it
Im running 35's on a 30, did the c-gussets, and I feel confident in it. I just dont beat the crap out of it while wheeling.

Last edited by racer83l; 11-05-2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by toad
I have a dana 30 up front and re-geared to 5.13s with 35" tires. I had the C-gussets reinforced and I also put a front chromoly axle up front since I also had lockers installed at the same time. It was suggested that since I was getting the lockers, the weak link would be the axle if anything were to break. So, I beefed up the front while still having the dana 30. Been great so far.
I have this same set up and I'm perfectly happy with it. I also added the axle sleeves while I was at it. If you have the $$ to upgrade to a 44 go for it expecially if you wheel hard but don't be afraid to build a 30 as we have. Easy on the skinny, wheel with some fore thought and pick good lines and you should be good. Northridge sells a package to do this mod that is quite reasonable.

Quick Reply: NEED ADVICE on Dana 30 w/ 35's