Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need advice with a custom bumper build.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice with a custom bumper build.

Alright jeepers. So i am getting ready to build a new front bumper for my 2013 stock (besides cooper at/3 wheels, (275s w/17 in rim, possibly a lift soon? Idk)) i am in college but work pt time in my fathers automotive tooling shop. I have access to genius welder/ fabricators, cnc machines and powder coat. So i figure if i buddy up and play my cards right i can get off cheap. I kinda plan on using 2in square steel stock for the skeleton and 3/8 or 1/2 in to form the "body" panels. This will be made of cold rolled steel with we order daily to work with. What tips do any diy jeepers have to make this baby strong? What weight should i strive to stay under and id like to make it so i can install a winch. Any tips? Also id like to replace the stock fog lamps with aftermarket fog lamps or maybe day lighters for offroading, or burning the road with illegal light in late night dirt road rides. (More practically to see deer with, safety, you know haha). Any body ever do this? Please share tips and stories.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most bumpers are bent/stamped plate steel. I think while creating the whole bumper from tubing and then covering it with more steel would be very stout, it would also be very heavy and unnecessary.

Find an aftermarket bumper you like, look at the design, then alter to your preference.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:49 PM
JK Newbie

I know your pain. I work as a welder part time. Basically have all the resources needed but so many options to choose from makes a final decision difficult. My plan is to look at different designs, come up with my own and if I don't like it... Sell it! Weight could be reduced by using somewhat small tubeing for your frame. Just brace your joints on the inside and skin with moderate size plating. If you have plenty of metal. Build a prototype and see just how much abuse it can take. That's gotta be worth the time it takes to build. Can't wait to see you finished bumper.
Old 10-23-2013, 04:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pacedc
I know your pain. I work as a welder part time. Basically have all the resources needed but so many options to choose from makes a final decision difficult. My plan is to look at different designs, come up with my own and if I don't like it... Sell it! Weight could be reduced by using somewhat small tubeing for your frame. Just brace your joints on the inside and skin with moderate size plating. If you have plenty of metal. Build a prototype and see just how much abuse it can take. That's gotta be worth the time it takes to build. Can't wait to see you finished bumper.
U got it man. Im mainly concerned with being able to mount a winch properly and settling on a design and pulling the trigger haha. I can reduce weight by buttering up to my nc machine guy and cutting cutouts in the steel plate---- note these cut out swill look so bada$$ it may turn straight jeepers gay for me and women's panties to drop hahahahahahahah
Old 10-27-2013, 06:28 PM
JK Newbie

Build a bumper out of cardboard and use it as a template. Cut your shapes out of 1/8 to 3/16 plate and weld it all up. It'll come in a couple hundred pounds lighter than it sounds like your original plan would have weighed and it should come out plenty strong for anything you'd need it for. If you're not sure about the strength, add some internal gussets, but there shouldn't be any need for an internal skeleton, especially not out of 2" square stock. Even 2" square tube would be way heavier than necessary.

Quick Reply: Need advice with a custom bumper build.