Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Need Advice - 2" upgrade to 4-5" Lift

Old 08-07-2011, 10:39 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice - 2" upgrade to 4-5" Lift

My Wife had the dealer install the 2" Mopar performance lift w/ bilstein shocks on her 2010 JKU Rubicon and now wants to upgrade to a 4-5" lift. My question is if we should look into just replacing the springs and maybe control arms, etc... or is it better to rip the whole lift off and go with a complete new lift. Looking for some thoughts and opinions. She is happy with the way the current lift handles. Not sure what 4-5" lift we would go with at this point, so suggestions would be great too. The requirements for the new lift are: currently have 35" tires but would like the option to go to 37" maybe. We are wheeling in Washington state and wheel it moderately, nothing hard core. Stability on the street is important, don't want too much top heavy sway. She has rugged ridge front/rear bumpers and will be adding a winch and rock rails (extra weight). And last but not least, in her words she wants a monster jeep with height LOL.

Here is here current lift
http://www.quadratec.com/products/16170_1001_07.htm

Here is her current lift

Thanks,
Old 08-07-2011, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

The easy and safe way to get two more inches and retain the control is a daystar spacer kit, everything will stay the same. Easy installation is simple.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because its not a hardcore wheeler I agree with the above that spacers are a good option. But I would add these items to what you have and be done with it.

Teraflex 2.5" shock extensions so you can articulate through your new lift height.

Teraflex 2.5" front and rear spacers for the extra lift.

AEV front LCA drop brackets to replace the cam bolts your kit uses.

Extended bumpstops if required so your shocks do not bottom out with the extensions.

I think this will get you inexpensive 4.5" lift that handles well enough for a dd and moderate wheeling.

Last edited by Biginboca; 08-07-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice looking rig. But $1,500 for a 2.5" lift and no control arms included, that's a little much. For just a couple hundred dollars more you could have gotten a compltete 3.5" lift from Rock Krawler with all 8 adjustable control arms and extended brake lines.
I would replace the whole lift if funds allowed. I and many others stared with 2.5" spacer lifts or coil lifts and have made the same upgrades.
Good luck in your decision.

Quick Reply: Need Advice - 2" upgrade to 4-5" Lift