Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nasty wobble

Old 10-14-2014, 04:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use silicone on our drag cars to help hold stick on weights on.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

Default Good Replacement Tie Rod Ends

So would it be better to replace the whole tie rod/drag links or just the ends? Also what are some good replacement parts for the tie rod/drag link ends?
Old 10-18-2014, 04:58 PM
JK Junkie

The ends that attach to the passenger side knuckle are not replaceable by themselves. You have to purchase the end+length of the drag link/tie rod.
You can replace the driver side tie rod and drag link to pitman arm w/ Moog/crown.
Fwiw .. I bought my 07 w/ 32k in 2011. Shortly after 2 tie rod went bad causing some shimmy's. Given the age and rust. It wasn't worth it to try and remove the tie rod ends. I could not even move my tie rod adjuster to set toe.
I sourced everything from Morris 4x4. Both drag link/tie rod, ends, and adjustment sleev/turn buckle (drag link).
I paid $250 for everything. Jump ahead a year, and after lifting and going 35's. Again the tie rod ends started to get sloppy.
I now run all synergy up front. Track bar, tie rod, drag link. If I ever have a TR end go bad, it's replaceable. I should have done that instead of buying stock. Lesson learned

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 10-19-2014, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

I took a look at synergy it say I need to have spacers for my stock tires. Is that true?
Old 10-19-2014, 08:46 AM
JK Junkie

Sorry yes, the tie rod ends won't work with the stock off set don't think.

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed
Old 10-27-2014, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by AngryRedBird
Man thats great to hear.. I mean to some degree.. that you found at least a couple of reasons for a shimmy or wobble. all the best on your travels.
Well I finally spent 30 minutes yesterday to change out the drag link. While I had it up I took a look at all the other components the ball joints, pitman arm, track bar, Shocks, Steering Stabilizer and tie rods and they were all fine. Drove around on the highway were the wobble would always occur and did not have any problems. So the Drag link was the big culprit. I am going to take it in to get re aligned since I replaced the Drag link and have the wheels balanced since one of the weights is missing. This should really smooth out the ride and be ready for Big Bend National Park.
Old 10-27-2014, 11:15 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXJKU
Well I finally spent 30 minutes yesterday to change out the drag link. While I had it up I took a look at all the other components the ball joints, pitman arm, track bar, Shocks, Steering Stabilizer and tie rods and they were all fine. Drove around on the highway were the wobble would always occur and did not have any problems. So the Drag link was the big culprit. I am going to take it in to get re aligned since I replaced the Drag link and have the wheels balanced since one of the weights is missing. This should really smooth out the ride and be ready for Big Bend National Park.
Don't forget to check your front wheel bearings. Those go bad and will cause a wobble. New drag link may just be hiding that
Old 10-27-2014, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

We checked for that as well. we look for any play on all the other parts. The drag link was the only part that was showing some play.

Quick Reply: Nasty wobble