Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Nasty wobble

Old 10-12-2014, 10:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasty wobble

So my wife and I went camping this weekend. We got out the location perfectly fine. We did have to hit some trials and go through some rough areas to get to the camp grounds. When we were coming home we would hit pot holes, lumps in the road, and uneven surfaces between the highway and the bridge. When we went over these things the Jeep would wobble nasty. It occurred almost 20 times. When I was going 70 the front felt bouncy. What is going on with the Jeep? Does anybody have a suggestion what could be wrong? Like I said it was fine getting there, but the ride home sucked.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TXJKU
So my wife and I went camping this weekend. We got out the location perfectly fine. We did have to hit some trials and go through some rough areas to get to the camp grounds. When we were coming home we would hit pot holes, lumps in the road, and uneven surfaces between the highway and the bridge. When we went over these things the Jeep would wobble nasty. It occurred almost 20 times. When I was going 70 the front felt bouncy. What is going on with the Jeep? Does anybody have a suggestion what could be wrong? Like I said it was fine getting there, but the ride home sucked.
mud stuck on the rim throwing your wheels out of balance? Threw/lost some weights on the wheels?

What year and how many miles on your rig?

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:02 AM
JK Newbie

It is a 2009 JKU X with 93,000 miles and it does have a 2.5 inch lift. How do I know if the weights got knocked off? I'll check for mud, but the it was mostly boulders, river rocks, and slate rock on the ground.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:13 AM
JK Super Freak

It is a 2009 JKU X with 93,000 miles and it does have a 2.5 inch lift. How do I know if the weights got knocked off? I'll check for mud, but the it was mostly boulders, river rocks, and slate rock on the ground.
it will be "cleaner" where a weight used to be.

With that many miles I'd wager your ballpoints are worn out and either:
a) decided to manifest the issue coincidentally
b) the off-roading, even though mild, was the proverbially straw that broke the camels back.

Also possible the toe in/out changed slightly while off-roading.

What size tires?

At ~110,000 miles the shop advised my ball joints were just about to separate completely. Factory BJs have a plastic sleeve the ball rides in. Most aftermarket have a metal sleeve and are MUCH more durable. Mine is an '09 too.

Sent from some string and a few tin cans.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:19 PM
-

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Info CerOf, thats why I've said three shops have confirmed nothings wrong, yet we all know that I'm not a believer. As a matter of fact, I spoke with two jeepers in the area about this.. One informed me that the ball joint on our jeep are still in great shape and it's way too early for them to fail.. The other jeeper, tells me that he suffers with the shimmy, but has yet to have done anything about it in nearly 2 years.. I can't see why he hasn't done anything seeing how he transport his two young kids in the jeep.
I guess it's one of those instances where if I knew the jeep had this issue, I would have replaced these things way before they could have ever happened.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Well I will inspect the weights and see if anything has fell off, but if it not that I will have the jeep checked for alignment. I had a re alignment in may so hopefully it is not out alignment. How can you tell if the balljoints are bad? I have the stock Goodyears on it. All I know is the ride home was not fun and something needs to be done.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:24 AM
-

How can you tell if the balljoints are bad?
If one knows what to look for which I don't and must rely on others for advice, but one of the main and most helpful advice givers is planman. Based on his videos and if one can do this themselves with the support of a friend or family member.. follow his step by step diagnosis to finding the cause and cure for parts that might be word.. In your case the shovel technique would prove very beneficial.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/
Old 10-13-2014, 04:17 PM
JK Newbie

I took a look at his videos and checked out my jeep and recorded the all the parts movements and showed it to a friend who is a mechanic and he said that the tie rod end on the passenger side is worn. I also notice that the passenger wheel weight is missing to. So I am going to have these parts replaced and see if that eliminates the problem so the Jeep is ready for Big Bend trip coming up soon.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:27 PM
-

I took a look at his videos and checked out my jeep and recorded the all the parts movements and showed it to a friend who is a mechanic and he said that the tie rod end on the passenger side is worn. I also notice that the passenger wheel weight is missing to. So I am going to have these parts replaced and see if that eliminates the problem so the Jeep is ready for Big Bend trip coming up soon.
Man thats great to hear.. I mean to some degree.. that you found at least a couple of reasons for a shimmy or wobble. all the best on your travels.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:51 AM
JK Junkie

Default Nasty wobble

I like to take a paint marker and mark the corners around the weights. Tire shops don't like to clean up the residue, and from multiple balances. It's hard to tell if there weight supposed to be there or not.
I've also heard of using duct tape to secure the sticky weights. Not so much on jeeps but track cars. Something I wanted to try, aluminum tape we have at work. One day I'll get around to it

2007 Rubicon /2 door/6 speed

Quick Reply: Nasty wobble