Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Narrowed to 2 lift choices...need help deciding

Old 08-16-2016, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fusion 4x4
The 6 pak are not as bad as people make them out. You have to consider perspective on them. For those of us used to custom tuning coilovers or Struts, 6 paks are simple. From someone with a bolt-on lift and maintenance free everything, they appear to be a lot of work. Increasing offroad performance will eventually require more maintenance. RCVs need to be lubricated as do aftermarket driveshafts (the latter of which is a PITA). So yes, you do need to charge the nitrogen every 3-6 months. We adjust pressure in our ORIs every time we wheel. It's not a big deal and the effort is worth the performance.

That said, the value in the 6paks comes from additional "up" travel. If you don't run the Overline fenders or go without fenders, you gain nothing. You'll have too much bump stop and won't gain any travel.

We'd recommend those before a bolt-on coilover setup any day. If you don't want to mess with fenders, stick to standard shocks.

Lastly, 4.5" lifts introduce many issues. Just be prepared for the additional investment to deal with them (drag link flip, caster corrected housing, driveshafts, etc).
Thanks for the perspective. I just don't know anywhere locally where I could get them charged every 3-6 months. I do have flat fenders and the additional uptravel would be great though.

Regarding the 4.5, I do have aftermarket shafts and the drag link flip would be installed along with the lift. I know caster won't be optimal on the d44s but i may upgrade those down the line as well.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Fusion beat me to ti. The 6 pack shocks are designed for LCOG builds and need their fenders to take full advantage. Just find a 12" travel shock for those lift heights you are looking at.
I would be curious to see your set up now to see what may be wrong with it in terms of set up as you should not be riding on bump stops with that much lift. I would plan a drag link flip as well.
Thanks for the response. I think the teraflex bump stops are just too aggressive for my setup. I believe they are 3" tall. Add that to the weight of the jeep and perhaps some saggy springs and that probably accounts for it. FYI i did ditch the rear bumpstops on day 2 and the ride was better. I did rub a little on full stuff tho. Have to trim the pinch seam a bit more.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Its not any flat fenders you need the metal cloak flat fender that is for the lcog builds
Old 08-16-2016, 07:56 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Fusion 4x4
The 6 pak are not as bad as people make them out. You have to consider perspective on them. For those of us used to custom tuning coilovers or Struts, 6 paks are simple. From someone with a bolt-on lift and maintenance free everything, they appear to be a lot of work. Increasing offroad performance will eventually require more maintenance. RCVs need to be lubricated as do aftermarket driveshafts (the latter of which is a PITA). So yes, you do need to charge the nitrogen every 3-6 months. We adjust pressure in our ORIs every time we wheel. It's not a big deal and the effort is worth the performance. That said, the value in the 6paks comes from additional "up" travel. If you don't run the Overline fenders or go without fenders, you gain nothing. You'll have too much bump stop and won't gain any travel. We'd recommend those before a bolt-on coilover setup any day. If you don't want to mess with fenders, stick to standard shocks. Lastly, 4.5" lifts introduce many issues. Just be prepared for the additional investment to deal with them (drag link flip, caster corrected housing, driveshafts, etc).
Not according to WAL
Old 08-17-2016, 04:59 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Not according to WAL
Ah, that's right, EVO doesn't make it!
Old 08-17-2016, 05:01 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RubiconRyan
Thanks for the perspective. I just don't know anywhere locally where I could get them charged every 3-6 months. I do have flat fenders and the additional uptravel would be great though.

Regarding the 4.5, I do have aftermarket shafts and the drag link flip would be installed along with the lift. I know caster won't be optimal on the d44s but i may upgrade those down the line as well.
That is sort of the point we were making. You wouldn't take it anywhere, you would service them yourself. You buy a nitrogen kit. It is a really easy process to charge them. Can probably be done in an hour. If you want a complete nitrogen kit, you are looking at $400. However, then you can charge all your buddies with nitrogen charged shocks $$$ for a fill.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^I've been wondering about that. I'm glad that psychocupcake is NOT a dude, actually. Always good to see ladies on here. Especially the ones that know their $#!+.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like both companies a lot (as you can see in my signature) and don't think you can go wrong with either.
2 years ago when I went with all 8 arms, MC was the only one making a super flexy rubber joint and they got my business. Guess if I were doing it over again, seeing what Synergy is now doing, I'd throw a coin in the air and let it decide.
The local shop deals only with Jeeps, and just about every lift company that comes to mind, has done so since the 50's, and always has a dozen or more rigs in the bays... you get the idea... was adamant that MC was the best riding/handling kit on the market... at that time.
I cannot speak to the Synergy coils or the Fox shocks, but the MC coils paired with OME shocks is a very nice ride indeed.

I think you are in a win/win situation with the 2 you have narrowed down to.

As others have mentioned, at 4.5" of lift, you are going to want to address steering for certain. Not sure how castor will work out... I'm at 3-3.5 and am ok.
Additionally, you mention rock crawling and 37's... since you are locked up front, you are going to eventually want some sort of hydro assist... if you want to be able to turn, while locked, and crossed up.
It all adds up that is for certain.

Last edited by Mike H.; 08-17-2016 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cutman
^^^I've been wondering about that. I'm glad that psychocupcake is NOT a dude, actually. Always good to see ladies on here. Especially the ones that know their $#!+.
Aw man you made my day! Thanks!
Old 08-22-2016, 01:33 PM
JK Newbie

Hey RubiconRyan! I was in the same boat as you and settled on an Evo Enforcer 4" kit with kings 2.5, yeti heavy duty draglink, synergy track bar (sector shaft brace too) and metal cloak tie rod. It's kinda franken lift because its been piece mealed over time. I will get this installed in about two weeks and I will let you know how it is. I got a front adams driveshaft to go with my setup and hopefully I won't have crazy alignment/caster issues because all I have to adjust is the front lower control arms for now.

I was heavily considering a metalcloak 2.5" with 6 pack shocks and their overline fenders to have the ultimate LCOG/up travel build on my '12 JKUR but decided against it because I would need atleast $5k to do it properly.

I also want to mention that the Metalcloak zinc coating really holds up well to the salty corrosion I deal with every winter. From my experience it is a lot better than synergy's coating. And before you ask, I always spray my stuff down with Fluid Film coatings, pressure wash the under carriage, penetrating lube on the bolts and more fluid film. Despite all this, synergy stuff rusts compare to metal cloak stuff.

The lift kit I will be removing that is currently on the jeep is a Teraflex spacer lift (2" front / 1" rear) so this will be a huge upgrade for me. I am currently on 34s Duratracs and will be upgrading to 37s soon.

My front axle is artec trussed, gusseted, control arm skidded, chromoly shafts, and have synergy ball joints.

-Shin0bi1

Quick Reply: Narrowed to 2 lift choices...need help deciding