Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mystery Tailgate Dent

Old 05-16-2011, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toad
Hate to tell you but it's most likely from your 35" spare on the stock tire carrier. I can say this because I have this exact dent from my 35" tire that was on my stock tire carrier. I had my tailgate open and we were trying to find a squeak..so I'm bouncing on the jeep and the weight of the tire on the tailgate created the exact dent you have. Lesson learned not to jump on the jeep with the tailgate open.
I have 33's and my dent extends from the same spot all the way to the top of the tailgate.

Last edited by nortski3; 05-16-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 PM
JK Freak

Since a bumper/carrier is still down the road a bit (budget because of alimony), I thought of going with Smittybilt's Oversized Spare mount. Maybe the metal mount will hold it better than the OEM plastic one.

It adds character I guess.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Might have gotten a good bump when you were doing this on Charlou Gap:

Well, we can get the dent puller and pop it out, fill it, and paint it. If it comes back, we know its from the weight then
Old 05-16-2011, 09:01 PM
JK Junkie

Hate to tell you but it's most likely from your 35" spare on the stock tire carrier. I can say this because I have this exact dent from my 35" tire that was on my stock tire carrier. I had my tailgate open and we were trying to find a squeak..so I'm bouncing on the jeep and the weight of the tire on the tailgate created the exact dent you have. Lesson learned not to jump on the jeep with the tailgate open.
WOW TOAD!! Ok I am learing things here. I have my 35" spare on my tailgate but it is on a spare extender on the OEM tire carrier. I sear I am getting a squeak from back there but... I won't be bouncing in it with the tailgate open!!
Old 05-16-2011, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like tire carrier time. Keep your eyes on craigslist. Sometimes you can find killer deals on take off stuff.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great...I was goin to autozone to get wheel spacers to finally get my 35 spare on. Guess I wont be doing that. Sucks about your dent.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:31 PM
JK Junkie

You can run it that way but over time it will start to fatigue. Not sure if that is the cause of your squeak but I would try to get it off the tailgate eventually.
Yep Yep, getting a rear bumper tire carrier combo here real soon. I can tell how heavy it is on the tailgate and try not to let it just swing open!! I can tell it's a bit much weight to keep there forever. I have a bunch of squeaks to figure out so will be investigating soon.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:30 AM
JK Freak

Well, when I posted, I hadn't heard mention of anyone else with denting. Now I guess it's possible mine was caused my the spare. Hmm. Need to marry off the ex quick so I can afford a bumper and carrier.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

Another one of those "Jeep mystery things".

Quick Reply: Mystery Tailgate Dent