Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Mystery Tailgate Dent

Old 05-16-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Tailgate Dent

So, I have this mystery dent in my rear gate. It could be from my 35" spare on the OEM mount, but I have seen others spot welds breaking, not dents forming. Just want to see what everyone thinks. Spare or something else?

Last edited by DoubleG; 05-16-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Something hit or smacked u. I don't see how the spare tire weight could have done that. Hmmmm thinking
Old 05-16-2011, 07:44 PM
JK Junkie

Something totally hit you. I can't figure out what because of the crease but it's not from the spare.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DoubleG
So, I have this mystery dent in my rear gate. It could be from my 35" spare on the OEM mount, but I have seen others spot welds breaking, not dents forming. Just want to see what everyone thinks. Spare or something else?
I don't know. From that picture it looks like it could be a buckle from the weight of the spare.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:32 PM
JK Super Freak

you know Gary, after thinking about this, I don't think its from the spare weight. If it was, I would think the crease would be on the top hinge since the weight would be resisted there first
Old 05-16-2011, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Typically that exact dent occurs when the spare tire drags or catches on the ground when climbing a steep incline. I have the same exact dent. It becomes super annoying when the tailgate begins to make a popping noise over every bump.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nortski3
Typically that exact dent occurs when the spare tire drags or catches on the ground when climbing a steep incline. I have the same exact dent. It becomes super annoying when the tailgate begins to make a popping noise over every bump.
Any such events? I could see how this might occur if you took a hard enough hit but I've stood the JK up on the spare (aka rear stinger) a couple of times without any visible damage
Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure what exact event your looking for. I was climbing a incline in Moab and drug the spare, it got caught on the lip of the first ledge as I popped up the second higher ledge. Other guys have gotten the same dent from similar situations.

You stood your Jk up on it's spare? Pics?
Old 05-16-2011, 08:45 PM
JK Freak

Hmm, been all over the bumper, but not sure if I've ever bounced the spare off a rock or ground yet. Hope it can be popped out.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DoubleG
Hmm, been all over the bumper, but not sure if I've ever bounced the spare off a rock or ground yet. Hope it can be popped out.

I haven't had a professional look at mine but the problem with my dent and it appears yours also is that it is a crease and not really a dent. My plan is to either cover it with some type of skin or drill it out and pry it out. Like I said mine is very annoying going over cracks in pavement. I took the spare off since it was so annoying, doesn't make the noise for me when there is no weight on tailgate.

Quick Reply: Mystery Tailgate Dent